Sharpening Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karloevaristo

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering... When you sharpen, do you follow the "only put on pressure when pushing/pulling the edge away" rule?

How many of you still follow this, every single time you sharpen?

I try no matter what to keep consistent pressure. To me if you focus on applying varied amounts of pressure it will lead to inconsistency in angles. By principle it makes sense and I think it is natural to apply more pressure in this manner but it is only something I think about with de-burring.

I don't really change the amount of pressure too much. At least not concsiously... I don't use a lot of pressure to begin with, though. Jon recently told me to sharpen like I meant it when I was trying out a stone, haha. I told him that's how I always sharpen and especially light on the finishing stones.

Not every time, and not consistently within a session. It's not a critical thing, methinks. It did help me to speed up when I was newer, but it required a bit more focus to maintain the angle. Obviously, it wears the stone unevenly, so keep that in mind.

I keep consistent on push and pull strokes...the only time I change pressure is lightening it as I finish on each stone, and as I progress through stones, but the push/pull stays the same throughout.

Back