sharpening routine

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblob

Reaction score
i am preety sure something simmiler has been asked but i am still going to ask

my sharpening progression is as following
1. thinning on a coarse stone
2. raising burr on both sides
3. i move straight to edge leading stropping strokes with very light pressure almost nose in order to deburr
4. doing a few longitudinal strokes as @Benuser suggusted in one of the threads

my question is i have never really thought about it since i been doing it for a long time, but recently i have read people write that before they switch to edge leading stropping strokes they reduce the amount of pressure doing edge trailing strokes
now from what i read on science of sharp edge trailing creates burrs, my question is what is the advantage of doing that ?(they reduce the amount of pressure doing edge trailing strokes)
also for those of you that dont stop the sharpening at low grits i have seen john at JKI when moving to a higher grit stone continue to do scrucbbing or push and pull and not straight move to stropping if someone can tell me why is that ?

Edge trailing will abrade a lot of steel. Fine when thinning behind the edge on a coarse stone. If you use it once you're close to the very edge you're sure to reach it, and raise an overly fat bur. It isn't very precise, though, when used in one single stroke from tip to heel. We tend to lower an edge when we're farther from our starting point. But for sure, you will create edge trailing a bevel on its own.
There are other ways to make sure the very edge got reached and you're not overlooking a micro-bevel or otherwise staying just behind the apex. Edge leading in sections or light scrubbing and using a sharpie and a loupe.

Edge trailing will abrade a lot of steel. Fine when thinning behind the edge on a coarse stone. If you use it once you're close to the very edge you're sure to reach it, and raise an overly fat bur. It isn't very precise, though, when used in one single stroke from tip to heel. We tend to lower an edge when we're farther from our starting point. But for sure, you will create edge trailing a bevel on its own.
There are other ways to make sure the very edge got reached and you're not overlooking a micro-bevel or otherwise staying just behind the apex. Edge leading in sections or light scrubbing and using a sharpie and a loupe.
i think you and i are on the same boat i find it alot easier after raising a burr at a coarse stone to deburr on it using edge leading stropping and when i switch to the higher grit-stone i continue only with edge leading stropping

Back