Sharpening scratches

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshstar

Reaction score
Hi

What is the best way to clean up sharpening scratches please

No comments about not making them being the best way please !!!!

Alan

On a flat blade, you can just use an 8k or better, or use fingerstones for a vex, or even Flitz in some cases...heck, even sandpaper in varying grits.

Sandpaper only seems to goto 2500 grit, how would that do on the blade ?

It's a good start if your blade is all miffed up. Sanding in a single direction up a progression will get you to a uniform haze, at least.

I have a Tojiro pro with super soft cladding that had horizontal scratches from a guard, that drove me crazy. I used this technique, and finished on the whetstones, to a nice semi-mirror.

The truth is that nothing really gets rid of them short of re-sanding the entire blade with something coarser than what caused them. I've tried every trick and found that the hard way is the only way if you want it to look good.

The truth is that nothing really gets rid of them short of re-sanding the entire blade with something coarser than what caused them. I've tried every trick and found that the hard way is the only way if you want it to look good.

i learned that the hard way too.

The buffing pad sounds like an easy option but im guessing its not, its never that easy !!

+1
Remember, after the bevel is set, a lot of knife sharpening is fundamentally the same as polishing!

The buffing pad sounds like an easy option but im guessing its not, its never that easy !!

I still wonder what would happen to a relatively "clean" (no deep scratches) blade surface. Mirror polish with no elbow grease? I'm sure you're right - it's never that easy!

i would be hesitant to use a buffer, as i'd be afraid of the knife getting too hot.

Start with coarse sandpaper (e.g. P240) and experiment with adding some mud from your stones once your paper gets smoother.

You can get damned close to a mirror polish with 2500 grit. We're talking sub-micron grit here.

You can get damned close to a mirror polish with 2500 grit. We're talking sub-micron grit here.

hell, my most recent bright mirror was done with 320 grit norton sanding pads. it's all in the elbow grease and attention to direction. it's not scratchless, but, if i shaved, i could shave in it.

2500 grit is not even close to mirror.

2500 grit is 8 micron.

2500 grit is not even close to mirror.

2500 grit is 8 micron.

it really depends on what you mean by mirror. if you mean aluminum vapor deposited on glass, well, you aren't going to be satisfied with anything other than aluminum vapor deposited on glass. if you mean bright reflection, you can get it with just about any grit, given sufficient elbow grease.

and surely you are not suggesting that 2000 grit waterstone is anything close to mirror finish.

read it. too bad there isn't an ignore function, i'd get to use it now.

On a very convex one, which therefore has to be quite thick.

i wouldn't say very convex. a little bit goes a long way. this is the combo i have on my Shigefusa, and it works wonderfully.

8 micron will get you really,really shiny.I don't think water stones are relevant.My 5 micron belt is very close to mirror.

Back