Sharpening station

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
We moved a few months ago and I finally "finished" setting up a rudimentary knife sharpening (and aspirationally, making) workshop in my basement. My carpentry skills a few months ago were basically zero, so it was a really fun learning experience making all the structures that appear in the vid below. The room was previously just concrete floor, concrete walls. The white sharpening station I built first, so it's not super sophisticated, but it's built like a tank. I think I could jump on it without having the tools hanging on the pegboard move. The unfinished workbench has some decent joints, though I'm sure any actual woodworker would run away screaming. The top of the workbench is a bunch of 2x4s glued and screwed together. Props to @stringer for the inspiration for that.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how the actual sharpening station worked out. So nice having all the stones all ready and accessible. In particular, I'm actually using my soakers again now that they're more convenient than the s&g's. :)

Heh is the KKF fever so acute that we can organize massdrops before the person in question even knows how to make a knife? SOUNDS GOOD SIGN ME UP!! I bet I can learn how to make 30 honyaki rex 121 by Christmas. After all, whenever I watch vids where Robin makes knives, it’s always like he just whacks a hot billet with a hammer a couple times, then slaps it on the grinder, then heats it up, cools it down, does a couple minutes of finishing work, makes a handle in 30 seconds, and it’s done.

Anyway, you can look forward to my first ugly, misshapen knife with a bad grind and heat treatment sometime in 2023. 🥳

Heh is the KKF fever so acute that we can organize massdrops before the person in question even knows how to make a knife? SOUNDS GOOD SIGN ME UP!! I bet I can learn how to make 30 honyaki rex 121 by Christmas. After all, whenever I watch vids where Robin makes knives, it’s always like he just whacks a hot billet with a hammer a couple times, then slaps it on the grinder, then heats it up, cools it down, does a couple minutes of finishing work, makes a handle in 30 seconds, and it’s done.

Anyway, you can look forward to my first ugly, misshapen knife with a bad grind and heat treatment sometime in 2023. 🥳

Works for TF. I look forward to your massdrop!

👍

Latest posts

Back