Sheep Shear Debas (?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
This post I warn is going to be slightly random. It was meant to be a project for tomorrow, but I started this evening, so not finished yet...

I was talking to a friend's father last weekend, and apparently back in the day he used to make knives out of old sheep shears (can you see where this is going?)

This is what they look like:

IMG_1602.jpg

There's a lot of sheep farming near where we are and our local seconds/antique shop furnished me with this set for the princely sum of $12 Aus (and a beaten up old mallet for a fiver). Bonus being they were Sheffield made, by the aforementioned Ward & Payne. It wasn't until then that I had clocked the etymology of 'Shear Steel'.

IMG_1583.jpg

Bit of hacksaw-ing and they look quite like small-ish Debas. Tho the tang / handle looks like it's going to be the problem.

IMG_1594.jpg

After some vinegar and bicarb they're looking alright, and ready for trying to figure out what to do tomorrow:

IMG_1597.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and (of course!) the choil shot you never knew you needed*. This is what the grind on old Sheffield sheep shears looks like. It's not unlike... a Deba!

A left-handed Deba.

Or rather two left-handed Debas. As far as I can see - all old sheep shears are made out of two left-handed Debas.

IMG_1600.jpg

TBC...

* I make no apologies for the quality of this photograph. It was bloody difficult to take.

Last edited:
[I am working on the blade that is lying on the table in the third picture in the first post, the bottom blade in the fourth. It had a blunter tip and more overuse in what would be the belly of a knife. I figured I would learn on the less good one.]

This afternoon's progress started slowly, to say the least. I wanted to make a hidden tang, and I was hoping I could hammer or vice the two sides of the handle together to make it. That proved something of a fool's errand. After quite some effort I decided I would be able to hammer it all into shape after removing half of it, so sawed down parallel to the blade, thus:

IMG_1603.jpeg

There was unfortunately still no hammering to be had, so I sawed down parallel again. I'd never hacksawed anything before yesterday but was surprised that metal gets pretty warm even sawing it by hand, so was using a wet cloth to cool it every so often. Anyhow, after all this exertion I had developed a terrible thirst, so went inside for a beer and to think about the next plan of attack. I did at least have the beginnings of a working tang:

IMG_1605.jpg

I feared that with quite a lot of metal removal still to do on the tang/around the heel that I'd be in for a long struggle with my cheap 240 grit stone, so went down to one of the sheds on the farm that I knew had some old and dusty power tools in it, untouched for more than a decade. I chose this one on the basis that I had at least used a handheld belt sander before, if not a table mounted one or disc sander:

IMG_1606.jpg

After quite some coaxing of it (to remove all the Redbacks in the system ;)) it did seem to get going. And TBH it rather surprised me. I had no idea what'd happen or whether it'd work, but it proved pretty good at removing material, both parts of it, but the disc part better.

So good in fact that I decided to do some of the profile work on it too, evening out the belly, giving a bit of a pointy tip, and just generally making it more like a kitchen knife. I was applying quite light pressure and dunking the blade in a bucket of water every few seconds so hopefully didn't f up the HT.

This is where I'm at now. I'm thinking of doing some more of the grinding of the bevel / edge on that disc sander, anyone know a reason I shouldn't? Or any particular tips if I do?

IMG_1607.jpg

Quite a lot of work so far, my friend! It is already looking more like a deba. Pity it is a left handed grind. (Perhaps @juice can use one!) While working with the grinder, definitely have a bucket of water close by to keep it cool. It will heat up very quickly! Hopefully some bladesmiths will chime in. I was thinking about the starting hardness of this metal. I know it is often tested by running a file over it. The file should skate rather than cutting the metal. Again...take my advice with a grain of salt. I am not a smith, I just watch a lot of "Forged in Fire"

Quite a lot of work so far, my friend! It is already looking more like a deba. Pity it is a left handed grind. (Perhaps @juice can use one!) While working with the grinder, definitely have a bucket of water close by to keep it cool. It will heat up very quickly! Hopefully some bladesmiths will chime in. I was thinking about the starting hardness of this metal. I know it is often tested by running a file over it. The file should skate rather than cutting the metal. Again...take my advice with a grain of salt. I am not a smith, I just watch a lot of "Forged in Fire"

Ah, didn't know that about the file, will give it a go.

Unfortunately this very lefty/concave grind I don't think is going to be particularly easy to redress, so yeah they might have to be gifts for sinister friends ;)

Finishing up this afternoon... First up making a handle. I didn't have most the wood that I normally use for handles with me, so this is an experiment with Norfolk Island Pine. With (as ever) plastic spacer, and wine oak.

59DBC166-DD7D-4E2B-99F9-BB26B975AF7B.jpeg

Quite pleased with that. Looks nice!

Then finishing off a bit of grinding on the disc sander (until it broke), some hand sanding of the blade, and ready for the install:

CEFE7A61-7B18-4C24-BDD8-EF0E59E0E2A4.jpeg

A06DBD9E-E862-47D9-81EC-CC46C323BACD.jpeg

Rather handsome - well done! Now some final grinding & sharpening and it's ready to go to a lefty for testing. ;)

Yeah it goes need some more grinding / edge work for sure. I've just done 15 mins and got a little way, but probably need to clean up my coarse stones to have a proper crack. I have put an edge on the other side to see if I can make it a multipurpose small knife. I did post a while back asking for recommendations for a double-bevelled Deba, so fingers crossed I might be able to make it an approximation!

If you go the hacksaw route again, use some oil on the cut. Reduces friction, makes your cutting tool last a lot longer & cut better. Bit of a mess, they do make water soluble cutting fluids too which are easier to clean after. I have used "Rigid" pipe threading oil (sulphured animal fat!) for smaller jobs and hand tool work, also a water soluble concentrate to mix my own for metal cutting bandsaw with a coolant/lubricant pump system.

Back