• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Shi.han 150 petty in 52100 ($210!)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Refined, yet toothy
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'all, I'm having a mid-knife crisis. I woke up this morning and thought: "*** are you doing with a $270 petty knife? You're not even a professional! This knife is too fancy for you." So I think I'm going to put this one up for sale. If someone takes it for close to the purchase price, I'll be happy. I'll also probably get over my crisis and be happy if it doesn't sell.

Description

It's a 150 petty in monosteel 52100 by Shehan Prull. The handle is thermory, an extra durable material created from some sort of wood by heating it up to high temperatures in the absence of oxygen. It looks very classy in person---I'm a big fan. The grind is lovely: it's a beautiful basically symmetrical convex all the way to the edge. In use, you really feel the food release and the lack of stiction. There's not a ton of distal taper over most of the knife (come on, it's a petty), but the tip is quite thin imo.

Btw, If you’ve never had a blade in 52100 before, you should try one. It’s carbon steel, but is heading toward semistainless. I bought it because I wanted a petty that would be up to cutting acidic fruit and the like, but I always feel that fully stainless blades lack soul or whatever. It’s also supposed to be pretty tough, and will take a very good edge. One of my favorites for sure.

Measurements

148 mm heel to tip
29 mm tall at the heel
78 g

Price and Condition

I'm asking $250 (now $210), shipped CONUS. The knife is in great condition, and the geometry is unchanged. I've used it maybe 6 or 7 times, briefly, and have sharpened it once on a 6k, and cleaned up a couple scuffs on the side of the knife, changing the finish slightly, but not in a way that you’re likely to notice much unless you have the before/after knives side by side.

Old Pictures, before refinishing (see the last post for current pics)

front.jpg

back.jpg
choil.jpg
spine.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t sell it! It’s too nice and you will find yourself just of buying it back.

Probably true. But then I’ll be able to contribute to the “What knives have you sold and bought again” thread! I’m really hoping that I can find someone to flip it back to me at a higher price than market, so that I can participate in all aspects of the KKF community. ;)

The handle material is about as light as ho wood, a bit harder/ stronger, finer grained so smoother but not slick. I have no idea how it is when wet though, only was able to handle the handle dry. All I know is it was really nice to hold and use. Did not feel like ebony, definitely toward the ho wood usable side of things. Think baked wood.

Yea, slipping hasn’t been a problem for me when wet, but I’ve only used it a few times. Feels loads better than ebony. There’s also more visible grain than comes through in the pics.

Stop it, though! If all these positive comments keep coming, I’ll become convinced I should keep it...

I just passed a major cooking certification, I WANT IT SO MUCH!!! Nice looking knife!! Its so hard to pull the trigger on a petty thats the same price as my 240 gyuto!

Reactions: ian
$240. Comes with the Shi.han cork lined edge guard.

I can also include a fake receipt valuing the knife at $50, to ensure that it passes through spousal customs smoothly. No extra charge. ;)

Last edited:
Probably true. But then I’ll be able to contribute to the “What knives have you sold and bought again” thread! I’m really hoping that I can find someone to flip it back to me at a higher price than market, so that I can participate in all aspects of the KKF community. ;)

Be careful what you ask for. [emoji12] I was just about to suggest I wire you 240$ so that you can return 300$ to me. That way your dream would come true without the knife ever leaving you. Deal?! Paypal friends & family, ey?[emoji848][emoji23]

74988E5F-49E6-451A-BC8B-8B40D2398CAE.jpeg
0963D25F-CD23-47BC-8258-3F49D4AD12A0.jpeg

Relisting. Turns out I want the money, after all.

As is now mentioned in the OP, I’ve now sharpened it once on a 6k, and cleaned up some scuffs on the sides of the knife with 1500-3000 grit sandpaper and a bit of uchimugori slurry, changing the finish a bit. Still looks very good, a bit shinier than before perhaps. The price has gone down $30 as a result, and because of time pressure, so now $210. Current pics of the knife are above. Great deal, $60 off, for a barely used knife.

****I’m leaving town soon, so if you want the knife before the New Year we need to complete the transaction by tomorrow morning!****

Back