Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of this almost sounds like buying a blade blank, putting some scales on the tang and, then comparing it to an original handmade shop knife.

I can buy a knife using Devin Thomas Damascus cheaper than I can buy a Devin Thomas knife. Skill and respect are earned and don't come cheap so, I won't compare prices of an ABS MasterSmith to a newly minted JourneySmith. The same can be said of the Japanese artisans who learned their craft over decades of apprentiship with their fathers and grandfathers.

Rationality in a Shig Alert thread?
not to be expected :)

Being the only apprentice of Iwasaki that makes knives is kind of a big deal, I'd think.

I thought Hinoura Tsukasa was an apprentice of Iwasaki too? It's silly to compare their exceptional work, but I prefer Hinoura's white no. 2 in the cloud dragon over Shigefusa's

My puter made it's email noise and I clicked over to JNS, 1st time was in time to see them all still up. But.

Cleancut still has a Kitaeji up. If I didn’t blow my entire knife budget for the next 6 months on a few customs it would so be mine! Good luck whoever gets it!!

The nakiri on JNS is very reasonably priced for a Shigefusa. Are there any major differences in performance between the kasumi/kitaeji and the kurouchis, or is it just appearance? The kitaejis are crazy expensive in comparison.

The nakiri on JNS is very reasonably priced for a Shigefusa. Are there any major differences in performance between the kasumi/kitaeji and the kurouchis, or is it just appearance? The kitaejis are crazy expensive in comparison.

If you're interested in performance, buy a Watanabe... if you want looks get him to make it out of his damascus... you'll save $ and have a much better cutter...

If you're interested in performance, buy a Watanabe... if you want looks get him to make it out of his damascus... you'll save $ and have a much better cutter...

Not really looking for a nakiri, but if I was Watanabe would be first in line. Just fascinated by the differences in price between knives by the same maker (and between Shigs and "reasonably" priced knives, for that matter).

You really think makers should price all their lines the same? Think of a car like jeep wrangler. A brand new wrangler sport with a 6 cylinder engine and stock everything else will set you back like $34k. A brand new jeep wrangler Rubicon with leather seats and high end stereo $52k..almost double.. both have the same engine and 4 wheels..some performance difference and some just cosmetic... made by the same brand...is it "worth" it to pay double for something? To many buyers yes.. to many no

My 240 standard Kato just gets better every time I sharpen it (I only use Jnats but I it behind the edge just the same every time). It's a badass knife even with the poor edge retention (I don't care much about that since I love to use my stones). I need to try a 240 or 270 Shig kasumi and get that itch out.

My 240 standard Kato just gets better every time I sharpen it (I only use Jnats but I it behind the edge just the same every time). It's a badass knife even with the poor edge retention (I don't care much about that since I love to use my stones). I need to try a 240 or 270 Shig kasumi and get that itch out.
If you weren't so darn far I'll send you mine so you can scratch that itch

Back