Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any differences in the grinds between higher models? Ive heard the kasumi and damascus have more of an s grind.

Probably not. But I couldn't say?? :dontknow:

I am not a collector. I do not own the same knife in different finishes. A vendor might know. What I can say is; the kurouchi santoku does not have an S-grind but the kitaeji gyuto does. That should be of no surprise. How ya'll gonna keep that black oxide if you scrape/grind a concave into the surface?

But then... That observation is not apples and apples. A kitaeji santoku may not have an S-grind either! In fact.... In Maxim's video you can see a kurouchi turn into a kasumi. Looks like a Santoku to me... If Kasumi versions of those exist, I aint seen 'em. With more polish it might end up a kitaeji...

I think it is coming to the point where jns is doing an unfair approach to his stock because it is all gone within minutes. I wonder if a programer out there has an auto purchase order programed into their commuter.

I think it is coming to the point where jns is doing an unfair approach to his stock because it is all gone within minutes. I wonder if a programer out there has an auto purchase order programed into their commuter.

You can ask him to crank up the price even more to make the knives last longer? ;)

Ha ha I was thinking more like a waiting list but he likes his system.

I noticed that JNS offers his Kato and Shig's at different times to let people in different time zones have an opportunity to buy. Yes you have to be fast but I did manage to buy a Kato and I had the opportunity to get a Shig but I waited too long deciding weather or not to spend the money!

You need to be prepared to buy "immediately".

Hi guys, may have been mentioned here already but there are a couple of shigs on ebay at the moment - nakiri and santoku, in australia and seem reasonably priced? already have a couple so cant really justify it but otherwise they seem interesting

I was very lucky to purchase left handed shigefusa yanagiba this time.
As soon as I received the alert from JNS, it was before 7am and I grabbed the credit card and bought it.
Really good knife.

right now

409640762640e27cbc6a.png

I had it in my cart as well.. After entering card details... Gone!

It's crazy.. I would almost have sworn that I couldn't have done the entire process faster, but apparently we need to practice out checkout skills [emoji23].

I’ve been there before :(
Gotta use one touch PayPal, be logged in at jns, have a super fast opticfiber connection in front of a shrine to almighty shig god (pro tip .. don’t waste time lighting the candles... gotta have'm going 24/7)

maxim is not a dirt bag, he's not going to jack the prices up just because the non retail market is irrationally skewed. so long as he makes his markup he's all good. probably finds it amusing the people trying so hard to land one.

So true.

Yes, Maxim said he won't raise prices, good on him, since he could.

So when is the checkout training camp opening up.......I don't even try anymore, by the time I get an email it is gone even if I go right away. Thanks for posting the price though, didn't know what these go for from Maxim.

Back