Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw on the gram that Portland Knife House has a second hand 180mm Shig Kitaeji wa gyuto for sale. They say Portland sale only for the first week, then online. Priced at $900, not sure what the board thinks of that as a value...

I'm wondering if the shigs are "better" than other top shelf knives. and if yes, how so? i mean 900bux its gotta be really kick ass then right. or?

I'm wondering if the shigs are "better" than other top shelf knives. and if yes, how so? i mean 900bux its gotta be really kick ass then right. or?
Sorta, it’s complicated ;)

I wouldn’t mind another one. Somehow I think I’m okay for $800-900 for simple kasumi 240mm wa gyuto.

I don't know how to quantify better, but will share that my 240 wa-gyuto is the most enjoyable knife I own to sharpen... I love the feeling on stones.

The 180mm Shig Kitaeji wa gyuto is still in Portland. I’m in town this weekend and stopped by Portland Knife House and took a look. That’s an awesome knife shop.

The 180mm Shig Kitaeji wa gyuto is still in Portland. I’m in town this weekend and stopped by Portland Knife House and took a look. That’s an awesome knife shop.
How did it look in person? Some have expressed concerns with the extent of remedial work, albeit based solely on IG photos.

My impression was that it could benefit from refinishing by one of the better polishers on here, for example, in my mind the depth wasn’t nearly as good as what Eithan has had on BST recently. Take that with a grain of salt because this is the only Shig Kitaeji that I’ve seen in person. Overall everything looked fine other than the heel looked like it was repaired. I didn’t inspect it carefully, was distracted by other great stuff there.

The thing I thought was most interesting was the extra kanji.

They were purchased new, none have ever been sharpened, a couple of them were briefly used.

Tip is completely rounded over, maybe this is from storage fails or abuse in shipping...?
tho I'm sure it could be worse ... either way its too bad to see a knife neglected

There is an interesting kasumi gyuto old stock rare colectable(so they say) shigefusa Iizuka on an auction site. Is this real ? The markings don't resemble the shigefusa signature
i-img1200x900-1572795674gai2n9268032.jpg

that is a shigefusa knife indeed, it has a KIYA store kanji, the shigefusa stamp is on the back

Who is buying santokus anyway?

i do. almost all my knives are santokus. i have a 240 hinoura in white that i will shortly cut down to 200 at most, with my angle grinder. its simply too big. but it has good height at 55mm or so (thats why i bought it). so it will be a very good santoku imo. maybe even the bestest evah santoku in the entire universe :)

if you cant make it with a santoku, then you probably cant make it...

never been there, never will.
home use i guess :)

my philosophy is that if its sharp enough you can do almost everthing with only a 150mm blade if you want.
amirite?

i used a spyderco folder as my only kitchen knife for like 6 months. i was abroad and could only take 1 bag.

You surely have a point about the hight of santokus. I am just missing the curve towards the tip.

i do. almost all my knives are santokus. i have a 240 hinoura in white that i will shortly cut down to 200 at most, with my angle grinder. its simply too big. but it has good height at 55mm or so (thats why i bought it). so it will be a very good santoku imo. maybe even the bestest evah santoku in the entire universe :)

I did the same thing to my river jump. Who needed that 20mm anyway.

Hahahahaha yasss. I also edited about 5 minutes out of Goodfellas. Such a superior movie now.

I did the same thing to my river jump. Who needed that 20mm anyway.

while you might have lost money doing so, i wont. because i have a "mass produced" hinoura.
and on top of that i dont really care. i will be using the knife so i think i am the most qualified about how long it should be. no?

but yeah angle grinders are the best grinders for fast results imo. i like the blue bosch ones myself.

wroom wroom! i made a whole sword with this muddafukkah so its good for knives too, especially 240ies. it eats 240ies for breakfast.
swordproject3.JPG

swordHT1.JPG

swordproject1.JPG

Certainly spoken like a home cook with too much time on their hands.

Back