Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I lived near the sea to have a justification for a 240 Deba. Or a 210 Deba. Or a Deba in general! :D

Not playing the Shig game anymore, prices have gone crazy. I can remember times where Shigs have sold for half of their current prices. HALF!!!

HALF; just like any other knife, almost...

But speaking of Shig prices, I know who is running the prices up! It must be that Zweber guy! He must be buying every one that is on the market.

😁 hope you see the joke, no insult intended!

But speaking of Shig prices, I know who is running the prices up! It must be that Zweber guy! He must be buying every one that is on the market.

😁 hope you see the joke, no insult intended!

I wish. Though if you have a question about Shigs prices, you can always ask me, I keep track of them.

The kasumi 210 has been there for 2+ hours I think.

I think that the price might be catching up with the demand. I purchased a 240 version a few months ago for a several hundred US dollars less and I just don't need another knife right now. I really thought it would be gone while I was on that page.

Last edited:
Is it a lot? Yeah, especially for people like me that have been in the hobby for a long time. When I started, Shig was in demand (always has been), and this particular knife could be bought for a couple hundred US dollars. Time, demand, inflation, etc. are what leads us to today. I never thought it would get this high either, what about 10, 20 years from now?

Is it a lot? Yeah, especially for people like me that have been in the hobby for a long time. When I started, Shig was in demand (always has been), and this particular knife could be bought for a couple hundred US dollars. Time, demand, inflation, etc. are what leads us to today. I never thought it would get this high either, what about 10, 20 years from now?
In 10 or 20 years I’ll sell mine if prices keep going up like they did the past few years!

Shig tongue depressors dropping on JNS if you want to check your throat out in style #COVID19

shigtonguedepressor.jpg

What do I know, but I believe we maybe are beginning to see the end of the bull market.

The semi-luxury market may not be maintained without significant positive changes to the world economy.

Chefs and cooks are not the only folks who buy fine kitchen cutlery. But when the restaurant business booms so does the fine knife market.

That is my sense of things. I am nothing but an armchair economist/fool anyway.

I am sure that there are a number of people who have a vested interest in maintaining the current pricing and inflation. They will become vocal I am sure. But they are going to have a hard time convincing a broke cook to shell out for this type of extravagance. There are too many knives at 1/3 to 1/5th the price that function as well.

It is a small market and maybe people like Maxine can sit on stock until the market returns. He must have made a boatload of $ by now.

What do I know, but I believe we maybe are beginning to see the end of the bull market.

The semi-luxury market may not be maintained without significant positive changes to the world economy.

Chefs and cooks are not the only folks who buy fine kitchen cutlery. But when the restaurant business booms so does the fine knife market.

That is my sense of things. I am nothing but an armchair economist/fool anyway.

I am sure that there are a number of people who have a vested interest in maintaining the current pricing and inflation. They will become vocal I am sure. But they are going to have a hard time convincing a broke cook to shell out for this type of extravagance. There are too many knives at 1/3 to 1/5th the price that function as well.

It is a small market and maybe people like Maxine can sit on stock until the market returns. He must have made a boatload of $ by now.
Oh I agree, the market can only sustain so long. I'm looking for the Shig market to take a dip, regardless of my knives current "worth"; they have always been in demand and priced high, I look forward to buying them cheaper IF they take a dip.

I agree the shrinking dining business will affect the demand, but I think we are also seeing more home cooks and those who are interested in fine knives. And the supply side might go down as old masters age, so it's hard to tell what we will end up seeing I think.

I agree the shrinking dining business will affect the demand, but I think we are also seeing more home cooks and those who are interested in fine knives. And the supply side might go down as old masters age, so it's hard to tell what we will end up seeing I think.
What's interesting, home cooks and/or non-chefs were the majority since the beginning of this forum and the last. It wasn't until the last few years more pros came.

Man if we could just go back to prices in 2000, I would dump my entire portfolio into knives and have 0 regrets.

I tried using the time capsule to visit websites in the mid 00s to purchase knives at those prices :p
needless to say it was not successful
I imagine the knife scene would have looked very different back then. Would many of the offerings we covert now even have been available 20 years ago. 🤔

The head smith at Shig looks to be like 35. But he is Asian so maybe 50?

Back