Shig alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what do you mean, not again?

Im surprised this is still available.

Also there is a 320mm Kitaeji Yanagiba on auction on Yahoo. 2 days to go. Sitting at 1.3k atm

That's a rare OEM piece. only has shig kanji on the Ura. no OEM brand kanji on the knife face. Just on the kiri box

It was sold to me as a 210mm/8 inch Single Bevel, the dual bevels are an option as well, not going to lie but it feels great in my hand.
I can see this working well for small sashimi tasks. I'd love to buy additional sizes if they're available anywhere.
I've also considered trading my Kitaeji Yanagiba's for one - As someone mentioned above, given their rarity it'll likely be in the Kitaeji price range.

I have issues using knives I buy unless I have another one, I'm OCD to that extent.
On that note, if I use any knife, you can rest assure I have the exact same one locked up elsewhere :D

IKR... I just bought an Extra Ku Nakiri, cause the first one is BNIB....

Did anyone catch the final price of the Cleancut Shigefusa auction? The last I saw 1140€. I planned to, but forgot to check it in the end.

I wonder what the final price of the Cleancut Shigefusa action was. Does anybody know what the end result was?

I expected significantly worse, I admit. I wouldn't call that cheap by any means but it's not really all that crazy for the market I suppose. It's not like you can buy one elsewhere for less or anything.

I expected significantly worse, I admit. I wouldn't call that cheap by any means but it's not really all that crazy for the market I suppose. It's not like you can buy one elsewhere for less or anything.
Objection, your Honor! I find more than 800 for a Kasumi crazy. That’s what Kitaejis retailed for back in the good old times...

Objection, your Honor! I find more than 800 for a Kasumi crazy. That’s what Kitaejis retailed for back in the good old times...

You aren't wrong as far as what I'd pay for it. You can get an exceptional honyaki or custom for less, and I know where I'd rather drop my money personally. I'm just saying that scarcity has blown up this market.

Over ruled.
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kasumi-240-mm-wa-gyuto/
I mean I agree too. I wouldn't pay that, but the market disagrees. In the current climate It wasn't horrible and still US buyer for example is getting a 20% vat reduction.

I was sure some would get over excited and it would've go for 1300-1400€. Because for once it wasn't a competition of speed and everyone got to participate.

Over ruled.
I mean I agree too. I wouldn't pay that, but the market disagrees. In the current climate It wasn't horrible and still US buyer for example is getting a 20% vat reduction.

I was sure some would get over excited and it would've go for 1300-1400€. Because for once it wasn't a competition of speed and everyone got to participate.
I know these prices, I mean I have seen them. Not a fan though. I'd never buy a Kasumi or also a Kitaeji at current prices... But who am I to judge?!

Over ruled.

The US buyer is going to get the VAT removed, but he or she will get bent over by customs and import fees. 802 euros is 972 dollars in today's spot rate. Once you add whatever fees the buyer probably will pay, or the bad exchange rate they are likely to get, it'll be 1000, now add whatever JNS charges on shipments to the states, plus import and customs on this - you're probably talking 1300. For a kasumi Shig. Yeah, I can see why someone decides not to use that knife.

I wish the market would push back on these shig prices. Auction :confused:.

The US buyer is going to get the VAT removed, but he or she will get bent over by customs and import fees. 802 euros is 972 dollars in today's spot rate. Once you add whatever fees the buyer probably will pay, or the bad exchange rate they are likely to get, it'll be 1000, now add whatever JNS charges on shipments to the states, plus import and customs on this - you're probably talking 1300. For a kasumi Shig. Yeah, I can see why someone decides not to use that knife.
DHL will tack on about $60 in import and broker fees.

TBH I’ve never heard about import duties when selling to the States, and I dont think JNS would charge something extra (for what would that be?)? Your ‘calculation’ sounds like it would be a bit high to be honest

TBH I’ve never heard about import duties when selling to the States, and I dont think JNS would charge something extra (for what would that be?)? Your ‘calculation’ sounds like it would be a bit high to be honest
JNS doesn't charge extra. Its DHL that determines the fees if the declared value is over $800.

The dreaded broker fees and import duties - FedEx is notorious for that, UPS shows up at your door with the package telling you to pay up or they go back home with the package.

Oh yeah, I've had FedEx packages en route, then just stop for days, with no information available. Then a letter arrives in the mail, asking me to pay duties, and only after that is paid does the package continue to me.

Here in France, and I assume in the US now, they mostly have this on a website now: you get an email or a text asking you to pay up or your **** goes back where it came from. I've had this from DHL and FedEx. I've also seen at least two scam messages doing this. So as always, be careful. :D

As pointed out, it's not JNS' responsibility. It's the transporter who will collect it.

This has to do with import duty though. Which is more about what your government has decided with regard to trade deals with other countries. This is why brexit is such a nightmare because it used to be free to import most items from Europe to the UK under free trade. Now its far more complicated. FedEx and DHL have to comply with whatever the regulations are.

This has to do with import duty though. Which is more about what your government has decided with regard to trade deals with other countries. This is why brexit is such a nightmare because it used to be free to import most items from Europe to the UK under free trade. Now its far more complicated. FedEx and DHL have to comply with whatever the regulations are.

Of course - i tried to explain this above. Basically, something made in the UK can be exported to the EU for no duties in most cases since Brexit, but Japanese knives are not made in the UK, so they can't be. This has crippled all kinds of trade between the UK and the EU, because things that are partly made in the UK may or may not apply. Marks & Spencer in Paris is empty because they didn't figure this stuff out in advance and now realize that they are completely incapable of supplying mediocre english sausage and bacon and stuff to english ex-pats. I have a group of english friends here and you'd think we were suffering world war 2 food rationing.

Sacre bleu. How will they survive in that culinary wasteland called France?

I know right? I told them I would make fun of them but also defend their right to procure mediocre sausages and bacon to my dying breath. They have chat groups where they describe the availability of certain products in certain shops. They go down to the expiration dates on the labels and such.

Back