Shig anonymous

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by rami_m, Jan 30, 2015.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2016 #211

krx927

krx927

krx927

Hi Mike, I was just wondering recently where are you hiding. I suppose you are in a stage of enjoying knives instead of hearding.

Looking forward to some new post in show you newest knife buy...

2. Oct 11, 2016 #212

mikedtran

mikedtran

mikedtran

You are spot on mate! I have stopped purchasing knives actually also.

I'm currently trying to focus more on sharpening/polishing and enjoying my knives instead of your nice choice of word "hearding" but I would almost call it "hoarding" knives before =p

I have actually even been quietly slimming my collection over the last couple months to people who expressed interest =)

3. Oct 11, 2016 #213

schanop

schanop

schanop

That's a good find, Mike. A version I have is 210, and I use it as a diamond tip usuba. It is a little bit less tall than an usuba at the same length.

[​IMG]

4. Oct 11, 2016 #214

mikedtran

mikedtran

mikedtran

That is beautiful! The interesting thing about Shigefusa "Kiritusuke" is it doesn't have the third plane or a very noticeable third plane for the tip.

Would anyone more knowledgeable about single bevels/kiritsuke be able to clarify? It makes me think its more like a tall K-tip yanagi than what I've traditionally seen with Kiritsukes?

5. Oct 11, 2016 #215

Mute-on

Mute-on

Mute-on

This is an interesting observation about the third plane Mike. My 180 Mukimono also doesn't have the third plane. However it is Kasumi with chiseled Kanji.

J

6. Oct 11, 2016 #216

mikedtran

mikedtran

mikedtran

Chiseled kanji kasumi is also not standard, though I have seen some kasumi integral gyutos.

My mukimono and the more recent batch I have seen does have the third plane.

Though in the end it is mostly us Shig addict/knife knerds nerding out as I don't think the third plane does too much as far as function.

7. Oct 11, 2016 #217

Mute-on

Mute-on

Mute-on

I actually find the third plane really sets off the knife. I was a little disappointed mine didn't have it, but the chiseled Kanji kinda made up for it ;)

8. Oct 11, 2016 #218

schanop

schanop

schanop

From what I have seen, Shig's mukimono has the tip bevelled just like square tip usuba, and takohiki. And for limited samples of kiritsuke that I have seen, it does not have the bevelled tip. Probably it is aesthetic choice for Shigefusa.

For kensaki yanagiba, or kiritsuke tip yanagiba, I have seen both versions with bevelled tip (usually) and without (Hide). A taller kiritsuke usually comes with bevelled tip though.

9. Oct 12, 2016 #219

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

My Watanabe honyaki kensaki yanagi has the bevelled third plane at the tip.