Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1422612479.674491.jpg

I cleaned up my 240mm gyuto with some fingerstones a few days ago.

ipW1xTo.jpg

NfDvZw0.jpg

What is the 3rd one from right?

Shig is one of the few carbon knives I would try to keep clean just to enjoy that amazing finish.

That is a 180 kitegi (never got that spelling). The bad photo does not pick up the layers. I have a 240 version with Marko handle which is my goto. One of my favorites, not in the picture, is a 210 yani made by one of the shig kids.

Sorry, 3rd from right is a handy 190 mirioshi deba.

Thank you - it really looks lovely. But it seems like you need a longer knife rack to continue that Shig collection :)

Yeah, six more. Petty, nakiri... Time to sell. But then the Aussie's would win the shig race.

Not easy to get the polish lines straight and just-so. Looks good in this close up at least. Fingerstones over the entire cladding?

Yup, I picked up some bits of uchigomori a couple years ago and have been splitting it for finger stones.

I should probably give my Shigefusa some attention.

IMG_0349_zps4b9f17a4.jpg

Figured I would put the little yanagi made by the younger Shig son. I wish Maxim would get more of these. It is a great little slicer that works well trimming pork loin, butterfly chicken, etc. Marko handled 240 is the goto. It has a large flat area that allows chopping at 1/2 to 2/3 down for more wrist and less elbow when chopping. Obligatory apology for cell phone photo.

Back