Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unusual but this tight pattern, I haven't seen so much on gyutos.

IMG_0398_zps44da4d28.jpg

Cool, Seth. I haven't seen many Shig kitaeji with that amount of density. There was one of Maxim's own petty 180. It looks as dense as Kato's kikuryu/damascus.

On one side, it looks like an ordinary Shig KU santoku; on the other side, it is not.

20150223_171040.jpg

20150223_171116.jpg

Did you do that?? Funny that I was thinking of starting a thread on how much modification people do (not knife makers) or have the guts to do. I got so tired of fingerprints messing up a mirror polish on the table of a kiritsuke with engraved kanji that I took the whole surface of the table to the stones and did my own mirror polish - losing the texture of the kanji. It looks nice but I think you have to be in a bad mood to do that to a $650 knife. ha...

Did you do that?? Funny that I was thinking of starting a thread on how much modification people do (not knife makers) or have the guts to do. I got so tired of fingerprints messing up a mirror polish on the table of a kiritsuke with engraved kanji that I took the whole surface of the table to the stones and did my own mirror polish - losing the texture of the kanji. It looks nice but I think you have to be in a bad mood to do that to a $650 knife. ha...

This was straight from Iizuka-san. Maxim got three a while back, and he mentioned that these were from old stock made years ago.

Here is my Shigefusa Western set: kitaeji 240 gyuto, kitaeji 150 petty, and Yoshihide kasumi 270 Suji.

20150224_101359.jpg

20150224_101335.jpg

Also used to own this Kasumi 240 gyuto, but Huw now posses it and he loves it so much which is a good thing.

shigefusa_gyuto_1.jpg

Just your basic kitaeji shig. I should try to count the layers. I have seen a lot of kitaeji shigs and I do think this is somewhat unusual. This is a 180mm baby gyuto and is also very thin. I have had a couple of "matched pairs" and sometimes the kitaeji is thinner, sometimes thicker. The 180 kasumi partner in this case is a tad thicker. But I had a pair of 270s where the kasumi was thinner.

Just your basic kitaeji shig. I should try to count the layers. I have seen a lot of kitaeji shigs and I do think this is somewhat unusual. This is a 180mm baby gyuto and is also very thin. I have had a couple of "matched pairs" and sometimes the kitaeji is thinner, sometimes thicker. The 180 kasumi partner in this case is a tad thicker. But I had a pair of 270s where the kasumi was thinner.

that is an amazing pattern!! Shig should produce more of those.

:bliss:

I shall soon find out what the noise is all about. 165 KU Santoku coming this way!

It is here.

First of all the KU finish is incredibly smooth, it is completely different to the roughness of my Murata which shows the hammer blows. The edge is a mirror and the weight just as I like it for the knife to go through foods with minimal effort.

The only thing I will have to adapt to is the absence of a flat spot, the edge is a continuous curve from heel to tip so in that way it is very different to my Fujiwara Maboroshi. I see it as an opportunity to refine my technique. Blade thickness is more than what I am used to but it does not get in the way, my blue Murata Nakiri performs marginally better on carrots but it does not have smooth action of the Shig for the rest.

Performance is just excellent, your push cut and chopping action are accompanied by impeccable cutting power and even rocking is easy thanks to the good clearance and the edge shape. The unpolished area between the KU finish and the mirror edge is already taking a gentle patina after a pound of vegetables. Food release is as good as it gets.

Overall I am very impressed by the fit and finish, the performance and how this knife already feels like an old friend in hand. Best of all the price point is fantastic and constitutes a superb entry level offer in the world of Shigefusa. A definite keeper...

:zombiegrave:
I'm surprised Smurfmacaw hasn't posted here yet lol.

In an attempt to overcome my "hoarding tendencies", I sold my shig display set :shocked3:
33B554F6-3E04-4E84-8C39-D69B01007B72_zpsqekkklpj.jpg

I relapsed shortly afterwards and got another Kitaeji gyuto :knife:
539B348F-8D65-44AC-A2A3-78CF85F344D5_zps0yrcivxi.jpg

:zombiegrave:
I'm surprised Smurfmacaw hasn't posted here yet lol.

In an attempt to overcome my "hoarding tendencies", I sold my shig display set :shocked3:
33B554F6-3E04-4E84-8C39-D69B01007B72_zpsqekkklpj.jpg

I relapsed shortly afterwards and got another Kitaeji gyuto :knife:
539B348F-8D65-44AC-A2A3-78CF85F344D5_zps0yrcivxi.jpg

Lol, if I could have bought some cherries I would have posted the perfect picture. You are forever in my debt for providing my dream knife.....I've eaten poutine several times since just to worship at the shrine of the Nanook dude that helped me out. I was shocked when you succumbed to the borg and was assimilated......

Smurf, you took tanners 240 kitaeji shig Gyuto?

Yes I did and I'm not ashamed of it! It needed to be used.

I can spot a large number of gaps in that lineup. You have a long way to go, many Shigs to capture from the wild :whistling:

Seriously, you have a bad case of Shigefitis. Sorry, I can't help you ;)

Sounds like Pokemons.....

Back