Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photos like this are serious justification for a Shig-only existence. Very nice.

No idea what this was about, something of my usual blah blah?

It was a comment of yours from a page or two back. Nothing at all to do with the quote I commented on. Kinda weird. Thanks for deleting it Dave.

here is my shigefusa lineup

Holly... Somebody appears to have a kitaeji fetish, huh? The photo is disfigured, however, by the presence of lowly kasumis. Sort it out :eyebrow:

But photos like this warm the heart. This one alone could suggest a shift in the global Shig axis away from the southern hemisphere. Is Canada the new Oz?

It was a comment of yours from a page or two back. Nothing at all to do with the quote I commented on. Kinda weird. Thanks for deleting it Dave.

No worries. Mods delete my comments all the time.:groucho:

It is here.

First of all the KU finish is incredibly smooth, it is completely different to the roughness of my Murata which shows the hammer blows. The edge is a mirror and the weight just as I like it for the knife to go through foods with minimal effort.

The only thing I will have to adapt to is the absence of a flat spot, the edge is a continuous curve from heel to tip so in that way it is very different to my Fujiwara Maboroshi. I see it as an opportunity to refine my technique. Blade thickness is more than what I am used to but it does not get in the way, my blue Murata Nakiri performs marginally better on carrots but it does not have smooth action of the Shig for the rest.

Performance is just excellent, your push cut and chopping action are accompanied by impeccable cutting power and even rocking is easy thanks to the good clearance and the edge shape. The unpolished area between the KU finish and the mirror edge is already taking a gentle patina after a pound of vegetables. Food release is as good as it gets.

Overall I am very impressed by the fit and finish, the performance and how this knife already feels like an old friend in hand. Best of all the price point is fantastic and constitutes a superb entry level offer in the world of Shigefusa. A definite keeper...

This post needs pics :)

I'm happy that Smurfmacaw is happy now that he has his dream knife. I'll always be a fan of Kitaeji so the hunt will continue (which may result in letting go of the 210 gyuto)

Not that it matters that much as everyone loves the core steel, but was curious if anyone else had heard that the core steel is Takefu V1 (http://zknives.com/knives/steels/v1.shtml)?

I've seen it listed as such on a couple European websites, not sure if they are just copying each other or providing solid information.

------------------------------------------------

Also I am receiving a 165mm Kitaeji Santoku on Wednesday/Thursday (that I ordered a while ago and completely forgot about till I got the shipping confirmation). Wanted to give the Shig addicts in this thread first shot at trade offers before I post it to BST. Looking for Katos, DTs, something interesting (can add cash). Shoot me a PM =)

If this violates any rules of posting outside of BST, Moderators, please feel free to edit it out.

Not that it matters that much as everyone loves the core steel, but was curious if anyone else had heard that the core steel is Takefu V1 (http://zknives.com/knives/steels/v1.shtml)?

I've seen it listed as such on a couple European websites, not sure if they are just copying each other or providing solid information.

No I don't believe so, from what I understand it is Swedish and not Japanese steel.

Gator's steel chart shows 120c as .58 carbon and calls it mediocre knife steel so I doubt that's it.:) I'll go with Swedish carbon (shares steel w/ Heiji I believe) and say that whatever it is that he (they) have the magic recipe for making it awesome. Another fine example of people being overly curious when it really doesn't matter (of which I too can be guilty).

Cheers

Some times I wonder why there is not a Wiki page for these knives. KKF contains a wealth of knowledge that could be aggregated...

These two came in the mail today. I was going to let them go, but I'm VERY tempted to keep them...

Kitaeji Santoku
Edge Length: 168mm
Height: 48.5mm
Balance Point:
Handle Length: 125mm
Balance Point at 5mm in front of the heel

Kitaeji Nakiri
Edge Length: 164mm
Height: 52.5mm
Handle Length: 126mm
Balance Point at 30mm in front of the heel

M1SunaP.jpg

These two came in the mail today. I was going to let them go, but I'm VERY tempted to keep them...

Please keep me in mind when you want to offload the 210mm Kasumi Gyuto! Will take the Kitaeji Nakiri as well, will save on shipping cost! ;-)

Please keep me in mind when you want to offload the 210mm Kasumi Gyuto! Will take the Kitaeji Nakiri as well, will save on shipping cost! ;-)

Will do. I might offload it when I get a western Shig =D

Kitaeji Santoku
Edge Length: 168mm
Height: 48.5mm
Balance Point:
Handle Length: 125mm
Balance Point at 5mm in front of the heel

Kitaeji Nakiri
Edge Length: 164mm
Height: 52.5mm
Handle Length: 126mm
Balance Point at 30mm in front of the heel

M1SunaP.jpg

The santoku needs to be with its family on my knife bar!

Back from my holidays, so let's revive the thread with not so common Shig. Let's start with a KU Shig chukabocho. This is a full size 215x105 390g thin slicer. Long neck and small wa handle make it feel a little bit more weird than usual, but not a problem giving some time.

20150216_165825.jpg

20131210_164631.jpg

:fanning:

I kind of what to find out who bought that 270mm mioroshi from a few rounds back. You know, just to see how it is doing, if it is meeting any interesting fish, never to harass the purchaser to sell it to me in a SmurfMacaw/tjangula kind of way...

I kind of what to find out who bought that 270mm mioroshi from a few rounds back. You know, just to see how it is doing, if it is meeting any interesting fish, never to harass the purchaser to sell it to me in a SmurfMacaw/tjangula kind of way...

:angel2:

Back from my holidays, so let's revive the thread with not so common Shig. Let's start with a KU Shig chukabocho. This is a full size 215x105 390g thin slicer. Long neck and small wa handle make it feel a little bit more weird than usual, but not a problem giving some time.

20150216_165825.jpg

20131210_164631.jpg

Where from????

Big tilefish, striped bass and American reds, nothing too exotic yet...that will change with the spot I'll be working next month.

Back