Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good! I'm glad it didn't get collected! If you find yourself working in a steakhouse, you know where to find me...

This is from the other, other Shig post. I didn't want to continue the hijack, so here it is: 1970's NOS 270mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Yanagiba.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not a collector, in my opinion, but it would take an awful lot to pry this from my hands. I'm very lucky to have it.

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
This is from the other, other Shig post. I didn't want to continue the hijack, so here it is: 1970's NOS 270mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Yanagiba.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not a collector, in my opinion, but it would take an awful lot to pry this from my hands. I'm very lucky to have it.

1970's NOS 270mm Shigefusa Kitaeji Yanagiba. ... As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not a collector, in my opinion, but it would take an awful lot to pry this from my hands. I'm very lucky to have it.

I'm not sure why, but the apparent recent upsurge in Shig-collecting gets on my nerves a bit, so good on you for not 'collecting'. I don't mean to put a damper on things, but I'm just curious how you became confident about this knife's age and origins and also how's this interesting in your view? I haven't heard of 'old' Shigs being sold. I've seen a couple of old Shig pictures, including one spotted by Maxim in Kyoto, presumably through the help of his Japanese partner. Also, 1 or more others on Japanese blogs. Oddly, they actually looked more unlike current Shigs than this, with recent Shigs definitely winning out, but I'd have no idea by comparison about the age of this one. Nice specimen, although it looks like the tip's had some rough times in the past.

Asteger, do you have pics or link to show the old Shig?

It looks remarkably like a shig of today. The tip looks a little different from mine, and the shinogi is a little bit lower/ends sooner right at tip than mine did originally. I've changed the geometry of mine a little to match my preference but I think it was still higher than the vintage one.

Thanks again for posting these, it's pretty cool to see a knife that old from a still active maker.

You know, I could be wrong. It came from a very reputable source, but that isn't to say it isn't. Hmm

I may or may not have two more KU shigs coming to me...:fanning:

Hi I'm Michael and I really really need help...you know its bad when you aren't even buying kitchen knives anymore.

5LDizAr.jpg

jG7OwYy.jpg

Mike, you can start wood working and get into Japanese tools world. There are a lot more Shigefusa in that domain.

Hi I'm Michael and I really really need help...you know its bad when you aren't even buying kitchen knives anymore.

5LDizAr.jpg

jG7OwYy.jpg

I can help you… sell me the NIB Kitaeji nakiri :whistling:

My shipment is likely going to be departing from CA in a few days so now is the time to act! Just gimme your PayPal and we can make it happen :D

I snapped up the one 210mm KU Nakiri from JWW...this thing feels great, it really feels like a shorter in height Chinese cleaver =)

This will likely be a favorite in the kitchen.

Picture next to its little brother.

ihh8IsC.jpg

I snapped up the one 210mm KU Nakiri from JWW...this thing feels great, it really feels like a shorter in height Chinese cleaver =)

This will likely be a favorite in the kitchen.

Picture next to its little brother.

ihh8IsC.jpg

what a huge nakiri you got there~:bigeek:

Just put the 210 Kasumi that I got from Eric here through its paces tonight. Made some chicken and steak stir fry. This Kasumi is as good or better than than my 240 Damascus. Going through all the protein and veggies created an instant patina that makes this thing look like a 20 dollar beater..... But it sure does cut well..... I'd post a picture but I would hate to post a less than perfect looking shig..... Ha Ha.

Just put the 210 Kasumi that I got from Eric here through its paces tonight. Made some chicken and steak stir fry. This Kasumi is as good or better than than my 240 Damascus. Going through all the protein and veggies created an instant patina that makes this thing look like a 20 dollar beater..... But it sure does cut well..... I'd post a picture but I would hate to post a less than perfect looking shig..... Ha Ha.

I think the patina is half the beauty!

Fresh pictures after refreshing my Kasumi, then taking it to a steak dinner =)

zdeMdWg.jpg

Taa5X2A.jpg

How does the 210 cut? That's as long as the gyuto I use.. Damn

Just did a quick test cut, but it cuts amazing. Will try to find a meal with tons of veggie prep and really put it through its paces.

Cuts very well. Has a large flat area which I like at the heel and then sweeps nicely towards the tip. I chopped, push cut and rocked with this and was very impressed with her initial outing. I'll be using this one exclusively for the rest of the week to see she'll make the cut. I'm pretty sure it will replace one of my 210s so thinking this will be around for a while. It's an expensive but nice tool.

I think the patina is half the beauty!

Fresh pictures after refreshing my Kasumi, then taking it to a steak dinner =)

zdeMdWg.jpg

Taa5X2A.jpg

Mike,
You have some nice blue patina going on there. Mine unfortunately was cursed with the yellow - orange barf patina. It's ok, it'll eventually turn into grey - black like the Damascus.

Scott

Mike,
You have some nice blue patina going on there. Mine unfortunately was cursed with the yellow - orange barf patina. It's ok, it'll eventually turn into grey - black like the Damascus.

Scott

Before I cleaned up the knife I was able to get a stable blue patina with the "partially cooked" chicken breast technique. Have you found that the generally blue patina hasn't been sable?

Once I get knives I just use them, it will turn grey like all the others. When I got into j knives I got all stainless knives to keep the maintence to a minimum, now all I use are carbons and I don't care what they look like. Ha Ha

Back