Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's this chicken breast technique?

From a not to be spoken of ex-members blog =p

"If you then bake a chicken breast in the oven until totally cooked through and slice the mustard patinated knife through the breast to divide it in two flat slices so all of the blade is evenly heated from the chicken meat and covered with the hot protein, you will get a blueish patina. Use the sliced chicken like the cheesecloth and cover the blade with warm protein juices."

Then another member suggested slightly undercooked chicken breast would do a better job (which it did). I used my immersion circulator to take the chicken breast to 130f-135f.

From a not to be spoken of ex-members blog =p

"If you then bake a chicken breast in the oven until totally cooked through and slice the mustard patinated knife through the breast to divide it in two flat slices so all of the blade is evenly heated from the chicken meat and covered with the hot protein, you will get a blueish patina. Use the sliced chicken like the cheesecloth and cover the blade with warm protein juices."

Then another member suggested slightly undercooked chicken breast would do a better job (which it did). I used my immersion circulator to take the chicken breast to 130f-135f.

Mike, I see you took my method to another level ;)

Today I almost decided to put two to three of my Shigs up for sale (2 KUs and a Gyuto)...does this mean I'm not as addicted?

Then again I have 3 Yanagibas...Zweber12 we are both Shig addicts with a particular yanagiba problem

lol, I would consider my affinity for Shigs the least of my problems...

hahahha I've decided to release a bunch of my Shigs in the next week or two. Just waiting on the kitaeji mukimono and a kitaeji 210mm yanagiba. Have a family picture and then release 6-7 (1 Kasumi, 5+ KUs, and maybe a Kitaeji)

I'm turning a leaf guys!

Nah, he's going to sell me the kitaeji santoku.....I'm still hoping all those shig's I sent to Mike Riggen show back up someday...thinking of a trip to Hawaii to retrieve them personally. (nicely, would make a good vacay for she who must be obeyed - she does not allow conflict).

You selling the 210 yosihide nakiri?

Your quick trigger got it before I could get it.

hahahha I've decided to release a bunch of my Shigs in the next week or two. Just waiting on the kitaeji mukimono and a kitaeji 210mm yanagiba. Have a family picture and then release 6-7 (1 Kasumi, 5+ KUs, and maybe a Kitaeji)

I'm turning a leaf guys!

:detective: I'm just curious to find out what's under the next leaf? :scratchhead:

:detective: I'm just curious to find out what's under the next leaf? :scratchhead:

I've got my eyes on a Billipp or two or three...

Right now I'm actually thinking about moving 2 Kasumis, 5 KUs, and thinking about selling 3 Kitaejis O_O - that actually will cut my collection down by a little more than half.

Mike and Tanner I got you guys first lined up on the Nakiri and Santoku =)

You selling the 210 yosihide nakiri?

Your quick trigger got it before I could get it.

Unfortunately that is one of the ones I won't part with for some time.

My 210mm is actually not a Yosihide Nakiri, I got the Shigefusa one from JWW that came out at the same time as the Yosihide on JNS

Unless Yosihide is not stamping with the Shigefusa stamp, hard to say since JNS didn't post a picture

Yoshihide nakiri has its own stamp - not Shige. There were one of the kurouchi nakiris at the latest gathering at Maksims place.
- Kim

Thanks for the info! =)

Would love to compare the Yosihide vs. the Shigefusa 210mm Nakiri :knife:

Any petty for sale mike :doublethumbsup:? Would love to get one to add to my collection

Any petty for sale mike :doublethumbsup:? Would love to get one to add to my collection

Unfortunately not, I'll PM you the list of what I'm likely to sell as I don't want to break/encroach on any forum rules. =)

I'm already missing the 240mm and additional 210mm gyuto. Pretty sure they are both going to good homes at least =)

ZEPg3uG.jpg

Is that a Takeshi handle I see on the 240? Makes it a completely different knife with the extra heft and authority of the ebony. 210 Kitaeji feels almost nimble by comparison.

Is that a Takeshi handle I see on the 240? Makes it a completely different knife with the extra heft and authority of the ebony. 210 Kitaeji feels almost nimble by comparison.

Good eye, it is the one with Takeshi handle. I got a lot of compliments from friends on that handle.

I'm personally more of a D-handle guy, though the octagonal ebony looks very pretty and I think for octagonal fans it will be a hit!

Good eye, it is the one with Takeshi handle. I got a lot of compliments from friends on that handle.

I'm personally more of a D-handle guy, though the octagonal ebony looks very pretty and I think for octagonal fans it will be a hit!

I think the octagon handle looks great on that knife- I should have jumped on that one ;-)

I carved the inside of a friction fit saya for my 270mm mioroshi tonight. It really makes you appreciate how nice the grind is on Shigefusa single bevels.

This top one is going to a new home, where it will get more love. (already SPF, but will be missed)

PcBGiod.jpg

Back