Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is it is a 270mm kiritsuke. It definitely has more heel height than it looks.

Though whatever we call it, it definitely is unique.

Hi Mike, I was just wondering recently where are you hiding. I suppose you are in a stage of enjoying knives instead of hearding.

Looking forward to some new post in show you newest knife buy...

Hi Mike, I was just wondering recently where are you hiding. I suppose you are in a stage of enjoying knives instead of hearding.

Looking forward to some new post in show you newest knife buy...

You are spot on mate! I have stopped purchasing knives actually also.

I'm currently trying to focus more on sharpening/polishing and enjoying my knives instead of your nice choice of word "hearding" but I would almost call it "hoarding" knives before =p

I have actually even been quietly slimming my collection over the last couple months to people who expressed interest =)

Unicorns do exist...

X2aQkQ5.jpg

That's a good find, Mike. A version I have is 210, and I use it as a diamond tip usuba. It is a little bit less tall than an usuba at the same length.

3gM_yd9DEd5AppN8leUWw49Kd6EbVHXZVIbESKz429gxONMlBRtwByvv3Q7VZtcvMEnmxkAJg70SzhSl_LXiTiqvhxwmfuQ-1PC8ypZYUf1jGzikA1DOxuGq-xFWx2Og0jwjBjhObbmb38Y5XZLS68nhmPw9HK_szypvnYOe9NRyVkxSPgjOcy67Aer_ZZLhbWht3DDJxy0pOH-ahC3JpA7RCNY_2a8CeYnufo6UhDI6JLLqY4fEPkRWIyy5E59CZ811bBm5o7JjRydCw01kTt3h3MuiYfGN9MvrDkmWIVdqVIdiO3ACbnGq67lN-wsV6Ve2VyE6fVU5A_spBlWm9nwEF_dDYGybr6N5SlY8YLlt4vIIBHvd8MnI-kXrymiZVT3kH6z_kywp1xnE_BDNeS7vOaL7zKD1hS3F5IZDCzpCY6PIGsPpTqJVkRiM4GxpEqc0U_5Avx0ITEMmQaZ2uKGD2FEs5Kt6dwIxFE0bPwlf2EM3Ei7nz52l30JesiNQEqlduOX2HmE1awEz_MZKiD1X9swbMimG50f7TZejWMjHPrQYtM-mbYx8sx_J33zEtGX5dKgXwpJ3KlgHuY3yAwpjJgl1yemvrIPYmv1jig0-lKFM=s1280

That is beautiful! The interesting thing about Shigefusa "Kiritusuke" is it doesn't have the third plane or a very noticeable third plane for the tip.

Would anyone more knowledgeable about single bevels/kiritsuke be able to clarify? It makes me think its more like a tall K-tip yanagi than what I've traditionally seen with Kiritsukes?

This is an interesting observation about the third plane Mike. My 180 Mukimono also doesn't have the third plane. However it is Kasumi with chiseled Kanji.

J

This is an interesting observation about the third plane Mike. My 180 Mukimono also doesn't have the third plane. However it is Kasumi with chiseled Kanji.

J

Chiseled kanji kasumi is also not standard, though I have seen some kasumi integral gyutos.

My mukimono and the more recent batch I have seen does have the third plane.

Though in the end it is mostly us Shig addict/knife knerds nerding out as I don't think the third plane does too much as far as function.

I actually find the third plane really sets off the knife. I was a little disappointed mine didn't have it, but the chiseled Kanji kinda made up for it ;)

From what I have seen, Shig's mukimono has the tip bevelled just like square tip usuba, and takohiki. And for limited samples of kiritsuke that I have seen, it does not have the bevelled tip. Probably it is aesthetic choice for Shigefusa.

For kensaki yanagiba, or kiritsuke tip yanagiba, I have seen both versions with bevelled tip (usually) and without (Hide). A taller kiritsuke usually comes with bevelled tip though.

Back