Shig contact details..

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 2 Shigs in 1 month from JNS - it is possible. My total wait time was 4 months from starting J knife collection this year.

MTBS was 2 weeks ( mean time between Shigs)

You can definitely get these without a 2 year wait

Folks have got them online from Knifewear as well, and japaneseknives

Patience young Jedi, and seek help from this forum, there are Shig whisperers out there

I'm biding my time working through a minefield (for me) of complex math designing a new Kugelwellenhorn partition for my other project zone ;)

I'm biding my time working through a minefield (for me) of complex math designing a new Kugelwellenhorn partition for my other project zone ;)
Good luck with the twin horns - assuming mid-high frequency. Will keep you busy till the Shig arrives🙂

Best bet for a short response is to wait for a current owner to come to their senses.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
😂😂😂😂 not coming or going to senses anytime soon - barely just got the unobtanium for a ridiculously costly price. Should have got them 10 years ago at 300 a knife!

mid freq horns are not for me, this is basically an open (HUGE, and it will be an infinite) baffle full range system supported in the low freq range by the Kugelwellenhorn and it will at most get a supertweeter to augment the top end and compensate for my aging hearing...

mid freq horns are not for me, this is basically an open (HUGE, and it will be an infinite) baffle full range system supported in the low freq range by the Kugelwellenhorn and it will at most get a supertweeter to augment the top end and compensate for my aging hearing...
Wow, sounds like an amazing project and I would bet you have been to many good concerts in your life

Wow, sounds like an amazing project and I would bet you have been to many good concerts in your life

I indeed have been so lucky, most of all I was lucky to have the first trumpet player of the RCO live almost next door, been able to get tickets for otherwise unobtanium concert places :)

I indeed have been so lucky, most of all I was lucky to have the first trumpet player of the RCO live almost next door, been able to get tickets for otherwise unobtanium concert places :)
Name your most memorable concert😊

Have never seen him, only heard him on you tube. Amazing player. Seems to play fiery Rachmaninovs and romantic Lizst equally well. I am fan of the classic romantic players - followed Horowitz

when the lord of Shigs already responds to this beckoning my belief that it's possible is strengthened, NICE collection!

I admire the optimism! If the man with the the internet's greatest Shig collection doesn't have a direct line to the source, I'd be discouraged. FWIW, Shig santoku's have very flat profiles and I'd describe the standard gyuto profile as pretty flat as well so it sounds like all you need is a 210. 210 santoku's are probably pretty rare but there's gotta be 210 gyutos floating around out there. Maybe not a yo kitaeji but I'd bet a kasumi pops up on BST before a custom order is filled. Good luck with your search!

Best = Likely

Alternatively could follow obits of Shig owners.....
that thought crossed my mind, works for me....anyone care to create a database, add age, specific genetic traits.....maybe COVID comes to the rescue....

Thought I'd share my experience. I have a friend in Japan,who helped me order through Yoshizawa a year back. The waiting time then was 2 yrs, and I ordered a 240 Kitaeji gyuto. If you are interested in the price feel free to pm me.

My friend called in to place the order,and they verbally confirmed it. No email,no order confirmation slip. Just their assurance that it is confirmed,and wait for them to notify my friend. They do ship overseas,or at least to Singapore where I am, and accept payment by PayPal. Here is the link

http://yoshizawa-rikou.sakura.ne.jp/syouhinn/syouhinn-top.htm
BTW, I emailed this vendor and they are no longer accepting orders for Shigefusa.

Actual message:
"Unfortunately, due to a large backlog of orders, Yoshizawa Riko, as well as other Shigefusa knife dealers, is unable to accept any new orders for Shigefusa knives. The waiting time is now at least TWO YEARS."

BTW, I emailed this vendor and they are no longer accepting orders for Shigefusa.

Actual message:
"Unfortunately, due to a large backlog of orders, Yoshizawa Riko, as well as other Shigefusa knife dealers, is unable to accept any new orders for Shigefusa knives. The waiting time is now at least TWO YEARS."

Thanks for sharing. I guess I got lucky,or I hope I did. Since all I have is a verbal confirmation. For the price I was quoted, I don't mind waiting at all since I am in no hurry anyway

Thanks for sharing. I guess I got lucky,or I hope I did. Since all I have is a verbal confirmation. For the price I was quoted, I don't mind waiting at all since I am in no hurry anyway
Lucky guy getting on the inside track before it was closed to the crowd. Hope your wait is eventually fruitful.

maybe become a knife vendor? slowly grow an online business, then you'll be able to order directly

Hi all, sharing 2 more stores I know that carry shigs for those who may not know of them. Mostly out of stock but you may hit them up to try your luck. Jumi seems to have stock of nakiris,which I don't use. I could be wrong cos I am reading based on kanji and Google translate. (I don't know Japanese,but I read chi)

https://hamono.ocnk.net/product-list/163
http://www.jumi.co.jp/shop/houtyou/maker/sigefusa.html
I do not know if they do international shipping. But for those interested it might be worth a try asking.

In person.

Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Mission accomplished 🎉
Doesn’t work all the time.

I tried offering a very eye watering amount to Gassan Sadatoshi for a tanto and was flat out rejected. Waitlist for one of his swords now is 10 years I hear.

Doesn’t work all the time.

I tried offering a very eye watering amount to Gassan Sadatoshi for a tanto and was flat out rejected. Waitlist for one of his swords now is 10 years I hear.
See, you messed up. You made him an offer he can refuse.

Lemeneid- 0
Shig- 1

P.S. He's probably got 5 or 6 already.

Hi all, sharing 2 more stores I know that carry shigs for those who may not know of them. Mostly out of stock but you may hit them up to try your luck. Jumi seems to have stock of nakiris,which I don't use. I could be wrong cos I am reading based on kanji and Google translate. (I don't know Japanese,but I read chi)

https://hamono.ocnk.net/product-list/163
http://www.jumi.co.jp/shop/houtyou/maker/sigefusa.html
I do not know if they do international shipping. But for those interested it might be worth a try asking.

Thanks for sharing, both are out of stock for everything but some Nakiris and small Santoku's but good to know. Google translate does a good job with Japanese and Russian these days!
To me offering a Japanese master a high amount to me sounds likely the worst way to get anywhere as you are sortof offending them with talking money, you probably need to socialize first (Karaoke, lots of beer or and sake) )prove worthy of their work, praise it highly, make a very innocent inquiry and await the pricepoint at which you may buy, the eye watering part will most likely still be part of the deal. At least that is how things sortof went a good 10 years ago when I was in Japan for the last couple of times.

interesting comments on one of these websites; translated to; 'one of the best modern steel knives' and 'it's a living knife'

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, both are out of stock for everything but some Nakiris and small Santoku's but good to know. Google translate does a good job with Japanese and Russian these days!
To me offering a Japanese master a high amount to me sounds likely the worst way to get anywhere as you are sortof offending them with talking money, you probably need to socialize first (Karaoke, lots of beer or and sake) )prove worthy of their work, praise it highly, make a very innocent inquiry and await the pricepoint at which you may buy, the eye watering part will most likely still be part of the deal. At least that is how things sortof went a good 10 years ago when I was in Japan for the last couple of times.

interesting comments on one of these websites; translated to; 'one of the best modern steel knives' and 'it's a living knife'
I thought you were suppose to guilt trip them, then tell him you have vermin to kill.

by far Arcadi Volodos, second TrenteMöller

I have been watching Volodos on YouTube - the man is an artist sublime - he is the pianist of this age - no one can compare to him. He is incredible.
Fact that you saw him is a true blessing. Now, my goals is to see him live in Cirnna in 2021. I will achieve that goal - if 2 Shigs in 2 weeks are any indication😊 he is a virtuoso extraordinaire

Hamelin > Volodos. Fight me! (But I prefer the latter's Rach recordings...)

I did not know Hamelin - but just watched him play Hungarian Rhapsody 2 - sublime! Divine! Magnifique!

But the way Volodos plays - he is completely immersed, his body, physicality, expressiveness - have never seen anyone play with that intensity

Right now, I am all about Volodos he won me over completely . Watched his interviews, something about his artistic perspective on life and music got to me

Back