Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ma_sha1

Reaction score
Covid-19 project gets a bit crazy sones times šŸ˜œ

Here I want to turn the 180 Shig. Nakiri. into 180mm gyuto instead, before I start, what you guys think about the profile?

I like it tall, aiming for 48/49mm heel height. I can make tip higher or lower, pretty much anywhere I want it before I fire up the table saw.

The question is, should I reduce the heel height to make it more slim looking, more similar to a real Shig. Kasumi ?

For ref., the Fujin has 44 heel height.

926324FD-D476-49A2-8371-A9EC9CA8FE63.jpeg

Last edited:
Covid-19 project gets a bit crazy sones times šŸ˜œ

Here I want to turn the 180 Shig. Nakiri. into 180mm gyuto instead, before I start, what you guys think about the profile?

I like it tall, aiming for 48/49mm heel height. I can make tip higher or lower, pretty much anywhere I want it before I fire up the table saw.

The question is, should I reduce the heel height to make it more slim looking, more similar to a real Shig. Kasumi ?

Fref., the Fujin has 44 heel height.

View attachment 88306
Please donā€™t! Itā€™s a waste of a perfectly good nakiri. No idea what your reasoning is.

There is no
"and". If Shigefusa made the Nakiri and someone alters it beyond a restoration, they are purposely destroying the original work and it is then less. In this case the skill level of the person doing the alteration, unless it is sent back to the OEM, does not matter.

Seriously though, is Hash tooth here? Iā€™ve seen some real ā€œlets **** sh it upā€ vibes around here.

Last edited:
There is no
"and". If Shigefusa made the Nakiri and someone alters it beyond a restoration, they are purposely destroying the original work and it is then less. In this case the skill level of the person doing the alteration, unless it is sent back to the OEM, does not matter.

Think youā€™re missing @M1k3ā€™s point, mate. Heā€™s explaining that people sometimes are not joking.

Edit: Sorry, aussies. Am I allowed to say mate? Donā€™t wanna appropriate your culture.

why not just use any old nakiri if you're gonna change the grind anyway. If you can reproduce the shig grind with any knife, just go get any decent heat treated nakiri

Back