Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t like controversy, but controversy seems to follow me around some how.

Just to put some of your minds at ease, It’s not my first time cutting up a Shig., it’ll be OK, I promise :)

Think you’re missing @M1k3’s point, mate. He’s explaining that people sometimes are not joking.

Edit: Sorry, aussies. Am I allowed to say mate? Don’t wanna appropriate your culture.
Thats OK mate, we Brits are not offended. Can't speak for the Aussie contingent tho

*** :oops: :oops:... I am simatanously very intrigued and slightly disturbed. I really like shig nakiris, but I still find this project refreshing in some way. The op has balls for sure. See what all you nakiri haters made him do 🤣. Nah, he beats to his own 🥁, rock man. Let's see what you can create.

I don’t like controversy, but controversy seems to follow me around some how.

Just to put some of your minds at ease, It’s not my first time cutting up a Shig., it’ll be OK, I promise :)
What was the other Shig you altered? Got pics?

*** :oops: :oops:... I am simatanously very intrigued and slightly disturbed. I really like shig nakiris, but I still find this project refreshing in some way. The op has balls for sure. See what all you nakiri haters made him do 🤣. Nah, he beats to his own 🥁, rock man. Let's see what you can create.

Thanks,

I don’t use Nakiri, bought this knife for the sole purpose of making my own 180 Shig. Kasumi

What was the other Shig you altered? Got pics?

The other one I did earlier this year was 165mm Shig Santoku KU to Shig. Funayuki Nashiji. The KU was a pig, had to thin it way down to cut well.

433CAAF7-919C-4ACE-96E8-7D7B6F3BB3F7.jpeg

The other one I did earlier this year was 165mm Shig Santoku KU to Shig. Funayuki Nashiji.

View attachment 88334

TBH, that’s not a bad looking knife, good skills you have! However, I would hesitate to ever call that a Shig—knife has been altered to far from what the blacksmith intended to be called a Shig. I’d consider that a ‘Ma_Sha1 Knife.’

TBH, that’s not a bad looking knife, good skills you have! However, I would hesitate to ever call that a Shig—knife has been altered to far from what the blacksmith intended to be called a Shig. I’d consider that a ‘Ma_Sha1 Knife.’
Yup, every knife maker has to get there steel from somewhere.

If you want to get rid of it... i'll take it off your hands for a fair price.

Im with the camp in this thread that wonders why you would do it to a Shig? I am all for DIY fun... but surely you could have just as much fun using a generic, cheaper nakiri

Back