Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send it to Dalman and have him turn it into a warikomi. Then you'll have a unique east-west fusion knife.

Hmm.
butthurt.jpg

How do you plan to cut that without touching the Ht ? What tool do you have ?
how do you plan to make a proper distal at spine , the ku Shig have a pretty regular thickness at spine. you are going to grind the entire blade To make something usabl.
better to start your own knife with a blank and Find someone for Ht.
right here you are going to turn a ugly knife into a dead knife unusable.

I would ask you all what makes a knife a shigefusa? The autograph? Or the whole package?
When we radically change the profile or geometry of a knife, my opinion is that knife stops being the original maker's knife right there and then; and becomes John Doe's knife with a master's signature on it.
Still everyone is free to do what they choose with their knife but just don't call it a shigefusa anymore.

How do you plan to cut that without touching the Ht ? What tool do you have ?
how do you plan to make a proper distal at spine , the ku Shig have a pretty regular thickness at spine

I am cutting with my Table saw & a 10” metal cutting wheel. The key to grind a knife after HT is to take it slow, a slow speed grinder, a bucket full of water, & COVID-19 “I am not going anywhere” patience.

This Shig. already has a killer distal taper, no need to worry about that. I just need thinning on steroids.
EBEE4DB1-2F56-4613-98BC-178FCD02BA5F.jpeg

Last edited:
I am cutting with my Table saw & a 10” metal cutting wheel. The key to grind a knife after HT is to take it slow, a slow speed grinder, a bucket full of water, & COVID-19 “I am not going anywhere” patience.

This Shig. already has a killer distal taper, no need to worry about that. I just need thinning on steroids. View attachment 88358
You shouldn't of posted this. This thread was one of those things you know is wrong, but just seems fun so you ignore your sensibility to enjoy yourself. And for whatever reason I just came to my senses with this shot. Leave that knife alone and buy a blank and start creating something. Is that nakiri the one David was selling on Togo?

This Shig. already has a killer distal taper, no need to worry about that. I just need thinning on steroids. View attachment 88358

Oh. Right.

For a minute I thought Bryan Raquin knew more about knifemaking than you.

That is The absolute worst thing I've seen I get a long time. Especially since he bought it from me and there were at least two other people who would have given it a proper home instead this garbage.

I really wish he hadn't bought that from me.
Grinders and table saws are you kidding me?!?

That's really unbelievable.

he is right that knife has an amazing distal taper and grind.

And I made every effort to make sure that it didn't get screwed up and now this guy is going to completely ruin the knife no matter how slow you go you're going to screw up the heat treat. And you don't even know where the core steel ends exactly because towards the end of the knife it might not run all the way to the spine......

Had I known it was going to get butchered
I definitely would have sold to someone else who would have appreciated it.

That is just so so disappointing.
If you wanted a shigefusa santoku they're so easy to buy if you just spend the money and the time to actually hunt one down or build a relationship with the people on the forums.

Personally I'm never going to sell to this guy again.

I don’t appreciate your negativity as a seller. In fact, you should consider taking some responsibility!

After all, you are the one who butchered the Shig Nakiri grind & removed the KU, & put on a hideous finish in the first place.

Fine, don’t worry, I will never buy a knife that’s been altered by you again.

That is The absolute worst thing I've seen I get a long time. Especially since he bought it from me and there were at least two other people who would have given it a proper home instead this garbage.

I really wish he hadn't bought that from me.
Grinders and table saws are you kidding me?!?

That's really unbelievable.

he is right that knife has an amazing distal taper and grind.

And I made every effort to make sure that it didn't get screwed up and now this guy is going to completely ruin the knife no matter how slow you go you're going to screw up the heat treat. And you don't even know where the core steel ends exactly because towards the end of the knife it might not run all the way to the spine......

Had I known it was going to get butchered
I definitely would have sold to someone else who would have appreciated it.

That is just so so disappointing.
If you wanted a shigefusa santoku they're so easy to buy if you just spend the money and the time to actually hunt one down or build a relationship with the people on the forums.

Personally I'm never going to sell to this guy again.

I just hope we don't see this masterpiece back on BST later on as a Shig gyuto slightly tuned up by the user.

Personally I don’t care what someone does to a knife I sell them. And fwiw, @ma_sha1 was very upfront about all the changes he did to the formerly Shigefusa santoku that he turned into a Shigemasha funayuki when he put it on BST.

Seems like a lot of righteous anger here... A knife may be destroyed in the process, but if that happens, what’s it to you? Let the man destroy a Shig if he wants to (especially one where the grind has already been significantly altered) or optimistically turn it into another knife. 🤷

Personally, I’d just go look for a knife blank, but whatever. If you manage to preserve the heat treat, you’ll still have that good Shig steel, at least...

Last edited:
Some people may indeed seem to get pushed outside their comfort zone by this project, though I would hope it does not boil down to hate.

OP, before you start just make sure it is not a warikomi, otherwise you might end up with a tiny santoku 😁

Nakiri has really grown on me lately. I’m beginning to really enjoy them. I don’t know why someone would take the KU off on this knife. That’s a beautiful nakiri with awesome distal. I would just hunt for other shigs and keep the nakiri for home use. They are fun man. You could take that nakiri and totally get it back in nice shape again. Since the KU was taken off I would make this a nice kasumi project for covid.

Nakiri has really grown on me lately. I’m beginning to really enjoy them. I don’t know why someone would take the KU off on this knife. That’s a beautiful nakiri with awesome distal. I would just hunt for other shigs and keep the nakiri for home use. They are fun man. You could take that nakiri and totally get it back in nice shape again. Since the KU was taken off I would make this a nice kasumi project for covid.

It’s true, optimizing the grind and appearance of the nakiri would also be a fun project, no?

Ok, to put the controversy to rest, I am just gonna say, the cut is done, astalavista Nakiri, it’s over, let it go.

Welcome to the new beginning of the Baby Gyuto formerly known as Shig. Nakiri, She’ll be born with love ❤️. Don’t you dare to call it ugly, it’s my baby 👶.

A few things to clarify:

1, the tip is left blunt on purpose until the last step.

2, I discovered that the beautiful spine taper is FAKE! It does not carry to below the spine, it’s a Non Functional taper, the biggest shocker to me about this knife so far, as a result, the front is Thick, as non of the beautiful taper carried downwards towards the edge 😞.

3, Table saw with the big 10” wheel removed heat much better than belt grinder, it barely got heat up during my cut before my frequent cold water dips.

4, I decided to compromise between my desired 48mm tall heel & JNS 180 Shig. Kasumi 44mm heel, so I aimed for 46mm heel height. Right now it’s at 47mm.

The goal is to still look like traditional 180mm Shig. Kasumi, just a little bit higher heel to make me happy.

Picture after cut:
(Table saw only so far, not seen the belt grinder yet)
36C816A5-6314-4940-B07B-FF14CE4FA7F8.jpeg

Ok, to put the controversy to rest, I am just gonna say, the cut is done, astalavista Nakiri, it’s over, let it go.

Welcome to the new beginning of the Baby Gyuto formerly known as Shig. Nakiri, She’ll be born with love ❤. Don’t you dare to call it ugly, it’s my baby 👶.

A few things to clarify:

1, the tip is left blunt on purpose until the last step.

2, I discovered that the beautiful spine taper is FAKE! It does not carry to below the spine, it’s a Non Functional taper, the biggest shocker to me about this knife so far, as a result, the front is Thick, as non of the beautiful taper carried downwards towards the edge 😞.

3, Table saw with the big 10” wheel removed heat much better than belt grinder, it barely got heat up during my cut before my frequent cold water dips.

4, I decided to compromise between my desired 48mm tall heel & JNS 180 Shig. Kasumi 44mm heel, so I aimed for 46mm heel height. Right now it’s at 47mm.

The goal is to still look like traditional 180mm Shig. Kasumi, just a little bit higher heel to make me happy.

Picture after cut:
(Table saw only so far, not seen the belt grinder yet)
View attachment 88374
Looks better already

Back