Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This debate is cracking me up.

Dave Martell made a living off thinning and etching Hiromotos, people out here taking damaged Kato gyutos, getting them ground down to a Petty to resell, altering profiles, thinning bevels, removing shoulders, rounding spines and choils, putting on horrific colored handles with epoxy, adding TF finger notches, etc. You name it, we have done it here. Usually no one sh!ts their pants over it. Why? Because as long as someone doesnt try to pass it off as something else, or that its BNIB, there is nothing wrong. Why is Ma Sha not getting the benefit of the doubt that there would be full disclosure if it were to be sold?

Quarantine got a lot of folks wound pretty tight... Ma Sha great job on your SHIG.

Thanks buddy, really appreciate it, well said!

Last edited:
Radical thought but what if he calls it whatever he wants? I doubt anyone outside this forum even knows what Shig is or means.

Thanks! & very true, I’ve never heard of Shig. until I joined KKF, & got my unicorn lessons 🤪

That’s my “stone washed” finish that I discovered by accident in a prior DIY.

I first sand the whole knife to 240 with a belt sander to get a smooth base, then go back to 80 or 120 grit with random orbital sander. Hold it in one spot without moving around, you’ll get random small swirls patterns, lift up & repeat on another spot, do that all over to finish the entire knife. In close up, the finish resembles bulat/wootz steel pattern, it’s completely random. Because it’s physical pattern, it doesn’t come off unless you sand it off or wear it down over time.

View attachment 88813

also air powered "needle hammer" will create similar interesting effects.
you know the one with the 50 or so pins sticking out of it.

Good job in enhancing this Shig to a better knife. It looks just as good (or bad) as any shig out there. It's got the dna of a great blade. I see no point in not calling this a Shig 180 gyuto and do whatever you want with it.
I mean i've seen a so called K-tip gyuto by kato which if you ask me was a broken tip 270 modified to look like a k-tip and nobody complained or even smelled it. This asumption is just personal opinion so please don't flame. Just take the picture with the ktip and try to draw the continuity of it and you will see the 270.

Radical thought but what if he calls it whatever he wants? I doubt anyone outside this forum even knows what Shig is or means.

So true. If you message a ‘normal’ person saying that you just got an ‘expensive shig’, they will think it is just a typo ...

I think it is still a Shig although heavily modified. If he had cut off the kanji and welded it to another piece of steel and then made a knife, that would not be a real Shig.

Shagifusa baby !
5335D09C-7A35-4DDD-AE44-4DA7B0411BE3.jpeg

I mean, he did remove "as little metal as possible" to make it into a gyuto...

All things considered it looks like he's done an honest job of things, and pretty well too. If he uses the knife it'll be a hell of a lot better of a fate IMO than some cabinet queens.
Touché 🤣. I'd have to agree.
@Barclid said it well. Good stuff @ma_sha1

Well this is like Mercedes or BMW branding their heavily modified performance cars with AMG or M. Or would this be the other way around? 🤔

Anyway it’s still a Shig. And well done on keeping the grind as meat as possible. Now to list it on BST and trigger a whole other group of people 😉

Well this is like Mercedes or BMW branding their heavily modified performance cars with AMG or M. Or would this be the other way around? 🤔

Anyway it’s still a Shig. And well done on keeping the grind as meat as possible. Now to list it on BST and trigger a whole other group of people 😉

Thanks men, that’s very kind of you 😄

Let's see a Kato Wh being pimped/chopped up. We could do a fund raiser for Ma_sha to supply him with the project material. And while you're at it you could make a video about the process and put it on YouTube.

I think the new gyuto looks very good! He has been 100% up front about it. Now if he bought a Shig, modded it, and sold it under his name as if he made the whole thing, that could be an issue. Or if he modified it and sold it as a custom made Shig (to make people think Shig custom made it for him, not that he modded it), that would be an issue. It's still a Shig in materials, heat treat, just not in profile/grind. I have no problem with what MaSha has done. He modified a knife that is his to make it what he wanted it to be and is 100% up front with what it was/is.

I do like that finish that you did on it! I like the textured finish, but hate the feel of KU finishes, so this is a neat way to do it!

I may have to look to you for some custom work in the future. I wanna be the only guy on the block with a CCK petty

Thanks, but you are out of luck then, not directed at you but I never accept custom works, because it’ll turn my hobby into a job, and Job, is the very thing that I am escaping from with a hobby 🤔

That said, a CCK can be turned into 3-4 Petties 🤣

Last edited:
Thanks, but you are out of luck then, not directed at you but I never accept custom works, because it’ll turn my hobby into a job, and Job, is the very thing that I am escaping from with a hobby 🤔

That said, a CCK can be turned into 3-4 Petties 🤣

4 petties that share 1 handle. I'll take it!

edit: yea I wasn't completely serious. But... if you ever decide to do it for yourself, I'd be happy to follow your journey

Back