Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once cut 30mm off a yo shig with an angle grinder cause no one needs a 270. Renamed it ‘Your Mom’. Fight me.

I once cut 30mm off a yo shig with an angle grinder cause no one needs a 270. Renamed it ‘Your Mom’. Fight me.
I thought you did that to show you can fit a 300mm in your knife roll!
I'm joking...nothing but respect for your stuff...

I thought you did that to show you can fit a 300mm in your knife roll!
I'm joking...nothing but respect for your stuff...
Funny you mention it- I just finished the xl, fits 330 as long as you done use Samuri sword handles 😂. So yes- I’m listening to you guys, I promise 🤪. Should be done and online next week.

Full transparency.... I did consider buying that to turn it in to a project knife. I didn't feel the price was right....

I guess one point of significant difference; that Kato chop is more of a rescue (making lemonade out of lemons) than a project for the fun of it

What do you guys think about this knife?
I found the picture on IG. Is this a chopped 270 or a k-tip? If you draw the tip it's a gyuto all the way. It would be the first K-tip mimicking a gyuto.
20200731_235219.jpg

The only difference I can see between a chopped gyuto vs. k-tip is the thickness of tip section. The chopped version, without re-grinding, will have a thicker front end.

Maybe the placement of the kanji should be further back if it were a real k-tip. I have no info on whether it is an original or not. Just pure speculation.

The k tip looks to have almost straight spine, maybe even some up sweeping, where the regular will have more curvature downwards after halfway.

You should PM Ma_Sha1 for his Shig gyuto. Then it would become work and not a hobby for him.

Lol, not so, because I don’t need to respond or do anything, still just a hobby 😂

On the other hand, I heard some custom makers don’t respond to customers, not good work ethic IMHO.

Maybe they're working too hard on the three years of orders they have booked to bother with new emails ;)

Working too hard is an excuse to poor management of workflow. I used to manage customer support, we have a policy of “1 business day turn around” policy in response time.

I don’t want to derail the subject of the thread again, I am responding to the email matter one last time, then I’ll go work on the Shig. Handle :)

A better managed response does not mean each email must get a customized replies. One simple strategy is two-tiered responses: One can set up a primary email, use cut & paste or even automated response, giving a general but current update to ease customer concerns, and let the customer know that that he can not discuss specific knife until his or her waiting time is up.

Then, direct customer to another email Address when his wait time is up, and handle direct discussions only with those who’s waiting list is up, it’ll be only a few at a time, easy to engage. The two tiered strategy will prevent the rest of the customers from unnecessary worries, & speculating if the guy is out of business, took his deposit & run, or go on forum spreading concerns etc.

There are many ways to achieve customer support efficiency, ignoring customer email is not one of them.

Now, it’s Handle time 🤗

But if they have way more orders than they can handle already, perhaps ignoring new emails is a sensible use of time?
I think we've been down that road already with some makers here taking on more than they can handle. And possibly taking customers money in the process.
Ignoring emails/texts is just a sh1tty excuse whether you are replying to an existing or prospective customer.

I don’t want to derail the subject of the thread again, I am responding to the email matter one last time, then I’ll go work on the Shig. Handle :)

A better managed response does not mean each email must get a customized replies. One simple strategy is two-tiered responses: One can set up a primary email, use cut & paste or even automated response, giving a general but current update to ease customer concerns, and let the customer know that that he can not discuss specific knife until his or her waiting time is up.

Then, direct customer to another email Address when his wait time is up, and handle direct discussions only with those who’s waiting list is up, it’ll be only a few at a time, easy to engage. The two tiered strategy will prevent the rest of the customers from unnecessary worries, & speculating if the guy is out of business, took his deposit & run, or go on forum spreading concerns etc.

There are many ways to achieve customer support efficiency, ignoring customer email is not one of them.

Now, it’s Handle time 🤗

you are ready to explain how to manage a full time knife making job but you are not ready to understand spending 4h to grind a quenched knife on a woodworking tool is a shity job ?
Good.

Moving on, here is a sneak preview of the handle to reel the donkey back onto the mill.

I am going for a cold b&w color scheme: buffalo horn face plate - buffalo bone Ferrule - burnt chestnut handle, inspired by one of Mario’s handles where he used bone for the ferrule between dark face plate & dark handle.

I really dig that look but will never be caught holding that knife, you know why? He used oosik, aka penis bone for the ferrule 😱

So, I am doing a PG-13 version of this Mario handle 🤣. Still lot of clean-up & polishing to do, but here is the look I am going for, what do you think?
5736739F-3A63-4C93-841A-5CA71182CDFF.jpeg

Sounds good on paper, nice contrast but looks too big for me.

It does look a little big, but I think its mostly due to the angle that the picture was taken from. The handle is closer to the lens than the blade, so it appears larger.

What about in this photo?
2B94BF24-CD98-4122-B022-F4ABA6860376.jpeg

For most, I think it will look a touch big in the height of it. For me, if I use a small handle, my hands cramp up and go numb and tingly after a while, so I will often make handles for my personal knives a little bigger so it doesn't bother my hands as much.

I’ll do some adjustments on the height when finishing. I’ll use my hand to judge the fit, it needs to fill my palm snug & naturally.

I am very picky, never had a knife that I didn’t tweak the handle myself, they are either too thick, or too narrow, or too long, never one that arrived fitting my hand just right. I haven’t run into one that’s too short yet.

IME a smaller handle lets you change postilion easier and the wa lets you roll the knife a bit for more dexterity. Big plus on a small nimble knife meant to be versatile. A larger handle is preferred for an "all day" knife. To me it looks a bit large.

Last edited:
Back