Shig. Kasumi DIY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Stop the Faceplate hate!

RRLOVER“

Mario 280 with the FP:
C0D3AEDB-71C1-469B-87E5-18C37FFB88ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Got up early before work & did a first-time sharpening of the knife, I had forgotten how sweet the Swedish steel felt on the stones, it’s been a long time since I chopped another Shig.

I used King 1000 followed by Rika 5K, with DMT angle guide, which is very easy to maintain constant edge angle with:

A6789644-DA22-46FF-97DB-C47C633B4DE7.jpeg

AADB72DF-AC1D-450A-956C-6B9A1D6CA42C.jpeg
BB921FEE-5763-49CF-821E-C723EE7E0CAA.jpeg

Last edited:
DMT does wonders, $20 turns a beginner into an instant pro. A couple of things I felt might be useful to share, especially with beginners of sharpening.

1, Ignore ALL expert opinions on free-hand sharpening, & use an angle guide, you’ll thank me later.

2, It’s very very important when using the angle guide, that you set the height of finishing stone just a hair lower than the main sharpening stone (1k here). This will raise the knife angle slightly, ensure that you hit the edge created by the first stone. If it’s the other way around, the finishing stone will hit the shoulder of the edge, & you’ll just see a lot of mud but nothing happening to the edge. Here I raised the Rika with rubber feet to the desired height, just a hair below the King 1k.

CC57C049-6075-42B5-8CC4-DB971B8E36CF.jpeg

3, Maintain the stone flatness after each use. All I use is a corse stone, 240, 500, 800, what ever you have, doesn’t matter, no need for dedicated “flattening stone“. Here is my Rika after use & flattened back to like new with a few strokes. If you do this after every use, it’s effortless.
63A88BB2-D668-47F8-96A1-401FDBD0749C.jpeg

Interesting. Haven’t seen one of those DMT guides before.

I wonder why, maybe too cheap to make money, so no body bothers to promote it?

I do see lots promotions on the other type of angle guide, expensive & you can’t use your own stones either.

I wonder why, maybe too cheap to make money, so no body bothers to promote it?

I do see lots promotions on the other type of angle guide, expensive & you can’t use your own stones either.

Do you find it to be similar in speed to freehand sharpening, or does the guide slow you down?

Also, a video would be great to show the finish, it looks different every picture you take.

Do you use edge leading strokes or trailing strokes with DMT angle guide?

I do it both ways, but maybe I should slow down & do trailing only at 5K, I am not as patient as I should, my edge could be sharper, still lots to learn.

Last edited:
Do you find it to be similar in speed to freehand sharpening, or does the guide slow you down?

Also, a video would be great to show the finish, it looks different every picture you take.

For me, it’s faster with the guide because every stroke is right on the money. Free-hand is more convenient when you have lots of stones, no need to match the height. With DMT, stone height matching is critical, luckily I don’t have lots of stones, otherwise i’d have to custom make feet for each stone.

When I started as a noob, I watched videos & took advices on free-hand sharpening, ended up dulling every knife I “sharpened”, really pisses me off. The inexpensive angle guide saved my day.

I don’t do videos, not trying to go Ryky on people, just want to raise awareness so maybe some beginners could save some headaches by starting out angle guide, move to free-hand later.

Last edited:
If it silently goes through the middle of a carrot, I'm buying it!!!!

Honestly though, would love to see some cutting videos :)

A knife with a brand name and a story. Seems to be a lot of sharks in the background that wants to bite once the performance is confirmed that this is a unique marvel.

I'd still like to see a video showing Reflections. Don't be scared.. I'll be gentle..

No video as I said before, & not for selling as I made it for myself. But I’ll do a quick review based my quick & dirty lunch cutting test.

My 180 AS Fujin is quite a looker, but it’s not been in use much, there’s a few things I want in the small prep knife that Fujin doesn’t provide, I wanted a lite kit more weight, a little more blade forward balance, a little talker, a bit more feed-back during cutting.

So far I’ve achieved several of these. The Shig Gyuto weight in at 158g vs. Fujin 132g, check. 48mm tall vs 45 mm, check. The balance is half inch ahead of the heel instead of behind if the heel, check, Kato like full convex grind gives good feedback, check.

77062079-4A1D-4009-BD81-EA6179D69CCD.jpeg
946D042D-F7C4-4864-89D9-DCFEFC16458D.jpeg
164CE344-C5B3-432A-B4E4-8BCF17B39EB2.jpeg

Lite duty cutting test: Small carrots, leeks etc: Leeks cutting was perfect, & the small carrot cutting were pretty sweet.

The Fujin went Through small carrots easily but without much feedback, The Shig. Went through the carrots with relative ease, but also with great feedback, it felt smooth, lite & consistent resistance that wasn’t there with the Fujin.

The feeling is similar to a good stone, where cutting steel fast isn’t everything, the feedback during the cut is equally important, it made me feel that I am in touch, I am in control.
72173AA8-165D-4589-9DDE-ABD90ED6A123.jpeg

Unfortunately, the last part of the test, the quick chop, didn’t go too well for the Shig.

I tested green squash & potato, where I sliced them in half, then use quick chop motion to make thin slices.

Fujin went through without issues, Shig.’s increased resistance caused frequent interruptions, essentially failed the quick chop test. The quick chop uses only the front half of the knife, it’s the thickest portion in the original Nakiri (I had a photo of it at the start of the project).

The increase weight & forward balance both plays in favor of Shig. already, so I think it just need some more thinning towards the front.

Shig., after failing the potato quick chop test:
1283600A-0B41-4F92-9FD3-EE6223E586B7.jpeg

You are basically becoming a KKF influencer. Not making a video is not really an option anymore.

I refuse to be the influencer
Choil shot?

Unfortunately, choil shot is as misleading as distal taper, if not more so. From the choil shot, you’d think I am there already. The choil can’t represent what’s happening at the front end.

Shig.
25394325-D4A7-4F0D-91BA-4C59E6DA8B44.jpeg

Fujin:
C2976BCA-99D5-40BA-B05C-4AB568698153.jpeg

Last edited:
Back