shig kasumi softer cladding is what

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
Hi i did some searching on the forum but didnt find the answer what kind of iron is the softer cladding on Shig kasumi? I assume shig kasumi is special swedish steel and one layer on each side of iron clad. And why are shig kasumi so reactive?

Someone knows for sure which polishing technique is used on shig kasumi? How do they get polishing lines that goes the full lenght of the blade?

Shig kitaeji, is it only made from swedish steel? Or is it only the middle of the 33 layers that is swedish steel? It has 33 layers?

Thanks if someone knows for sure.

For kasumi, shugefusa uses the tool called sen to scrape the surface of blades.

For kasumi, shugefusa uses the tool called sen to scrape the surface of blades.
This is not how these blade get the final finish. That tool is used for shaping, not for finishing as it leaves a very rough finish.

This is not how these blade get the final finish. That tool is used for shaping, not for finishing as it leaves a very rough finish.

That's right. Sen is used where usually the big wheel stone grinder is used. Their final finish is done by normal hand sharpening. But I don't know if they use finger stones to leave polishing lines.

That's right. Sen is used where usually the big wheel stone grinder is used. Their final finish is done by normal hand sharpening. But I don't know if they use finger stones to leave polishing lines.
Definitely not finger stones, the regular kasumi line (I have seen some exceptions in some custom orders) has no signs of stone polishing or finger stones (I ha taken a few to the stones or polished with finger stones to be able to o tell the difference). I'm not sure if the horizontal lines are the result of some belt, brush wheel, or simple sanding (the least likely option I think), that's why I didn't answer the OP's question, maybe someone knows for sure what tool is used, but definitely not a fancy polish.

The kitaeji line shows signs in the core of being taken to stones for polishing the core, the overall blade finish is cleaned up to much higher grit than the kasumi, and if I were to speculate it's etched lightly and finished with powdered abrasive or paste. The possible way in which it's finished is speculation in my part but what I can tell is that the few I have bought were definitely not finished on natural bench stones, the core looks like off a synthetic 8k or 6k like Kitayama or Arashiyama, but the cladding smoothed out with some loose abrasive.

See this video published by Maksim Enevoldsen of JNS

Sen sharpening and use from 3.30

Abrasive tool used to remove ku at 11.10, close up at 11.40. Further blade finishing at 12.25.

Thanks. I cant see this treatment is resulting in the horisontal ”polishing” line on the kasumi line

According to a book I have, kitaeji is made of soft iron + low carbon steel layers. Still don't know if they are Swedish or not.

what kind of iron is the softer cladding on Shig kasumi

Some kind of mild steel. Impurities in their stock create the shigefusa 'clouds'

Shig kitaeji, is it only made from swedish steel? Or is it only the middle of the 33 layers that is swedish steel? It has 33 layers?

Kitaeji knives have a swedish steel core with a pattern welded cladding. The cladding is mild steel and steel.

Thanks if someone knows for sure.

I doubt anyone does... Most 'knowledge' will be guesses (albeit possibly educated). I am not sure 'Swedish' means much either? The exact steel is proprietary - just know that it is a high carbon steel.

Definitely not finger stones, the regular kasumi line (I have seen some exceptions in some custom orders) has no signs of stone polishing or finger stones (I ha taken a few to the stones or polished with finger stones to be able to o tell the difference). I'm not sure if the horizontal lines are the result of some belt, brush wheel, or simple sanding (the least likely option I think), that's why I didn't answer the OP's question, maybe someone knows for sure what tool is used, but definitely not a fancy polish.

The kitaeji line shows signs in the core of being taken to stones for polishing the core, the overall blade finish is cleaned up to much higher grit than the kasumi, and if I were to speculate it's etched lightly and finished with powdered abrasive or paste. The possible way in which it's finished is speculation in my part but what I can tell is that the few I have bought were definitely not finished on natural bench stones, the core looks like off a synthetic 8k or 6k like Kitayama or Arashiyama, but the cladding smoothed out with some loose abrasive.

This is my observation... the Kasumi line does not get polished on a Jnat but the kitaeji line does... Cant comment on the etching though. Interesting hypothesis!

Back