Shig stamped or ”engraved” kanji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
hi on Shig gyuto kitaeji are the kanji mainly stamped or engraved? Is it any point in time this changed? Thanks

I remember someone mentioning related discussion before. All the ones I have purchased in the recent year has all been engraved.
You mean stamped? That's been the case for me (including the one I got from you). Single bevel kitaeji are chiseled, and I recently saw an old stock 210 to kitaeji with chiseled kanji but at least (not sure if ever or for how long) for a few years the double bevels kitaeji have been stamped. Shig kanji stamp is nice and simulates long chisel strokes but it's clearly different from their chiseled kanji.

You mean stamped? That's been the case for me (including the one I got from you). Single bevel kitaeji are chiseled, and I recently saw an old stock 210 to kitaeji with chiseled kanji but at least (not sure if ever or for how long) for a few years the double bevels kitaeji have been stamped. Shig kanji stamp is nice and simulates long chisel strokes but it's clearly different from their chiseled kanji.

Yep yep stamped; sorry typo

Hi thanks. Are there any advantages with stamped? I assume it takes to long time to make the chiseled version. From an art perspective I assume most ppl prefer chisel over stamped.

Hi thanks. Are there any advantages with stamped? I assume it takes to long time to make the chiseled version. From an art perspective I assume most ppl prefer chisel over stamped.

To my minimum knowledge, someone has mentioned before they convert to stamped to increase consistency and production time.

Back