Shig Swedish steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick112

Reaction score
hi anyone have knowledge about why shig only uses Swedish steel? Seems very weird to use Swedish steel in Japan even though it might be of good quality. Anyone knows about the properties vs ao/sg and from where they source the steel. Thanks

Ok I see, makes sense. Though it feels a bit weird to get Swedish steel when they are supposed to have some of the best steels in Japan.

Maybe some clues here, (full disclosure, I'm no expert!) swedish iron is particularly pure from what I've read.

This article is about a mine no longer in production:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dannemora_mine

"Their products were particularly pure iron, ... This made it the best material for conversion to blister steel, the main variety of steel made in Great Britain between the 1610s and the 1850s"

or here

https://www.mining-technology.com/projects/kiruna/

"The Kiruna orebody was formed at around 1,600Ma following intense volcanic activity with the precipitation of iron-rich solutions on to a syenite porphyry footwall.

The ore bed was then covered by further volcanic deposits (quartz porphyry) and sedimentary rocks before being tilted to its current dip of 50-60°. The ore contains a very pure magnetite-apatite mix, containing more than 60% iron and an average of 0.9% phosphorus. Black ore contains less apatite than grey ore."

BTW, Dannemora, whatever it is in Sweden, lent it's name to a particularly infamous prison in upstate New York

If you used the steel, you would know why they use that steel. Im not being a smart a$$. Im just saying it is such a pleasurable steel. Ive heard some complain about edge retention. Ive never had an issue with edge retention. Ive always found it great in that department. But im no shig expert. Ive only handled 3. But it sharpens so easily and silky, and gets blazing sharp. Its wonderful. So however they got to use it. It makes sense to me thst they use it.

FWIW, Misono has had a ’Swedish steel’ series for ages, and they have been secretive too about source and treatment - at least from what I’ve heard.

It's dubbed "spicy Swedish" I believe, and it's supposed to be a proprietary steel developed by Iwasaki as a consultant to Hitachi. This is what I have read, happy to be corrected by someone with first hand information. I believe Heiji uses the steel too for their carbon kitchen knives.

Ok I see, makes sense. Though it feels a bit weird to get Swedish steel when they are supposed to have some of the best steels in Japan.
Misono Swedish Carbon, Iwasaki Steel (Shig/Heiji carbon), Ginga Swedish Stainless, Konosuke "old swedish steel" , are just some of the examples of "Swedish" steel used by knife makers/companies.

Also something that might be a reason for maker to not tell, the treatment makes or breaks steel. And the notable thing about shigs I think is just that, overall craftsmanship.

It might be also worth considering that (a) not all blades made in JP from ‘Swedish steel’ were made from just one steel type and (b) over time given type of blade might have been made from different ‘Swedish steels’. Or from a ‘not quite so Swedish steel’. No, I do not have insider info, just being a realist.

Anyone have an idea if Shigefusa uses the same steel/mix/alloy for core steel in their different series? I.e kitaeji, kasumi and kourichi?
Anyone have an idea if the mixture shigefusa uses is supposed to be higher share of carbon steel than for example sg 1?

Not sure why it matters in the least...best example to test imo is Heiji

Gesshin is line sold by Japanese knife imports, Nakaya Heiji is maker of Gesshin heiji and regular heiji.
I think Gesshin might have better f & f or some other tune ups requested by jki.

Anyone have an idea if Shigefusa uses the same steel/mix/alloy for core steel in their different series? I.e kitaeji, kasumi and kourichi?
Anyone have an idea if the mixture shigefusa uses is supposed to be higher share of carbon steel than for example sg 1?
As Far as I know Shigs have the same steel and same heat treatment for all lines.
% Carbon is not the end-all of steel greatness. Different steels have diffrent advantages and disadvantages.

Steel provenance can be confusing. Take Togo Reigo steel for example used by Konosuke. It was described by Tosho KA as Swedish, but if you dig a little deeper you find out its vintage steel made in the UK by Andrews in the early part of the 20th Century, using Swedish iron ore (sands).

The shig steel doesnt matter what the name is, its great stuff only takes 30 seconds of sharpening to prove to you not hype.

keep in mind anything with ore or with production in swe is OK to call "sweedish", but most mass production sweedish stuff something lie UHB 20C (eq. to AISI 1095). This is a better version than the generic 1095 because its clean and has narrow range values closer to white steel than to the low ends of the generic 1095 spec.

But in general its not an upgrade (or serious downgrade) to white#2 steel, its more like a close cousin...

As for togio regio and other "exotic" stgeels people iink to sweeded...who knows what the real story is but most expensive sweedish steels IMHO all about use of the ore in a vintage/out of production method (similar to tamagahane being valued because its old/traditional/expensive, etc).

Not that they are comparable, more that they have in common scarcity. Value and performance at that stage being eye of beholder and not alot of people will ever get to use them for various reasons.

I couldn't get excited about the Shig steel. Misono Swedish is meh. Now the Heiji carbon? Well, I've still got it and you know how I feel about carbon.

I couldn't get excited about the Shig steel. Misono Swedish is meh. Now the Heiji carbon? Well, I've still got it and you know how I feel about carbon.
dave, shig and heiji uses the same carbon core steel but the heat treat is different. shig feels sexier on stones and is easier to sharpen. however shig cladding is complete sh1t where as heiji cladding is good.

When polishing the Shig, possible to remove some of the kanji if it is stamped?

Well if it isn’t broken don’t fix it. I’m sure whatever the reason they use the steel is they enjoy working with the steal and have been working with it for such a long time. Due to this they are able to produce consistent results which is probably what they feel is consistent with the best work they can put out.

When polishing the Shig, possible to remove some of the kanji if it is stamped?

Unlikely, all of the normal shig gyutos (absent a couple unicorns) have the same kanji,
It is very deep according to various folks...even tho its struck with stamps not chisels.

Which bringd us to screen printed or acid-etched kanji
which mayber are more easily damaged than 3D relief types.

Back