Shigefusa at JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

jacko9

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that a 150mm Western (with no handle) Shigefusa Kitaeji is selling for $853,76 at JNS. I was on the site and placed it in my Cart and thought wow that's a lot of money for a Petty I just couldn't pull the trigger. What do you folks think?

Last edited:

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
I saw it too and ordered a Munetoshi KU instead, but I'm pretty sure that Shig will sell out in seconds.

Last edited:

labor of love

Reaction score
It's hard to believe that a 150mm Western (with no handle) Shigefusa Kitaeji is selling for $853,76 at JNS. I was on the site and placed it in my Cart and thought wow that's a lot of money for a Petty I just couldn't pull the trigger. What do you folks think?
Don’t worry you’ll probably have another opportunity to buy it soon. With an extra $200-300 added to the price tag.

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
Oh it did - when I hesitated while it was in my cart - it sold!
850 dollars saved. Labor of love made a good point. Just don't look back at it when it becomes available again.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
Looks like the guy that decided to collect Shigs has an out-performing pension fund.

jacko9

Reaction score
I decided to buy my granddaughter a Watanabe Pro 180mm Nakliri instead with the Saya and a nice handle. She's 20 yrs old going to nursing school and cooks a lot. She told me that she was having troubles cutting veggies so besides giving her a good knife for Christmas, I'll get to see her more often while I teach her how to sharpen. Yeah I always a Shig but, the price point keeps rising faster than my desire to buy one.

McMan

Reaction score
What's crazy with all this shig stuff is that the KU are often available at decent prices. The Kasumi and the Kitaeji fetch a bloated premium. What I'm trying to say, is if you really want to try a shig--as opposed to stashing a shig--see if you can track down a KU for ~$300.

jacko9

Reaction score
I was sitting on the JNS site during his November sale and looked at the 165mm Shig KU Santokus. I'm just not sure if I like that style of knife.

jacko9

Reaction score
Really - I'm curious why is a $850 dollar petty knife a great buy? Yes I know that the Shig clan make great knives but for a 150mm petty a lot of blacksmiths out there offer "similar" (I know it's subjective) products for much less. Once again I'm confronted with "Supply and Demand". BTW I'm not criticizing JNS here as I have purchased a lot of very great stuff from them.

Last edited:

Hassanbensober

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really - I'm curious why is a $850 dollar petty knife a great buy? Yes I know that the Shig clan make great knives but for a 150mm petty a lot of blacksmiths out there offer "similar" (I know it's subjective) products for much less. Once again I'm confronted with "Supply and Demand".
Yes there are many great petties in the world that 100% preform and or out preform these knives but I can have them readily. The thrill is in the hunt. I know it’s mental.

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
Really - I'm curious why is a $850 dollar petty knife a great buy? Yes I know that the Shig clan make great knives but for a 150mm petty a lot of blacksmiths out there offer "similar" (I know it's subjective) products for much less. Once again I'm confronted with "Supply and Demand". BTW I'm not criticizing JNS here as I have purchased a lot of very great stuff from them.
I didn't think anyone said great buy, just a great price compared to what they go for.

jacko9

Reaction score
I have nothing bad to say about Maksim as he has sold me some great knives and stones. I'm just flabbergasted that the demand has pushed the price so high. I guess I'll never own a Shig.

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
A couple of days ago there was a BNIB Shig Kitaeji 270 yanagiba sold for $1250 on BST. Not a wo handle for sure, but a fairly good deal IMO.

jacko9

Reaction score
Well my T-F 150mm Nashiji W#1 petty is pretty awesome as well and it has a very nice ebony/horn handle. I think I paid less than $120 dollars for it shipped to the USA.