Shigefusa at JNS

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by jacko9, Dec 9, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 10, 2019 #31

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

dave, if i didnt already have the heiji, i would be taking a hard look at the shigehiro petty.. i also want their suji.

2. Dec 10, 2019 #32
    I like it when you buy suji's

3. Dec 10, 2019 #33

Zweber12

Zweber12

Zweber12

CiderBear, Panamapeet and Matus like this.
  4. Dec 10, 2019 #34

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

What's the annual % on your collection over that period, out of morbid curiosity?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  5. Dec 10, 2019 #35
    With a little effort you can actually calculate it yourself from his very own data.

CiderBear and Zweber12 like this.
  6. Dec 10, 2019 #36

madelinez

madelinez

madelinez

Only the average price per mm for all shigs over the years. If his collection was purely Kitaeji it would deviate substantially from the shig average. Also I'm an engineer, eye-balling a chart hurts my OCD.

His actual total return is likely higher than that general chart indicates given he keeps "choice" shigs and sells other shigs for a profit. Not a criticism, I think it's really cool investing in something you love.

7. Dec 10, 2019 #37

Spipet

Spipet

Spipet

Makes sense, but from buying from him for a couple times I found that he makes very little profit, if any!

8. Dec 10, 2019 #38

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

Collector's and fetishists ruin everything.

Free market. Whatever.

But will never buy from those vendors that take advantage.

Some vendors are still within 20-25% of original pricing WHEN they get stock.

Bitter rant over.

9. Dec 10, 2019 #39

danemonji

danemonji

danemonji

I think you guys are barking at the wrong tree. At least Shigefusa is all manual process and a lot of work for some of the most appreciated knives in the world. What you have to say about this factory produced Hattori: https://www.hocho-knife.com/hattori...tty-knife-utility-150mm-80year-anniv-version/
    You don't know if the master ever touched these knives and yet they go for 3000$ a piece and you are ranting that a shig yo petty 150 sold for 850$.
    There is a market for everyone. If you can't buy it it doesn't mean that there's something wrong with the price or the item and that others won't buy it.
    You should have a look at the prices other collectible items such as hand made Japanese fountain pens go for and you could argue that it's just a fountain pen.
    For the moment i am happy that at least with knives we can still afford some of the grand masters. Others don't have this luxury.

Mute-on likes this.
  10. Dec 10, 2019 #40

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

I'm certainly not doubting the quality of Shigefusa, and would argue that they are the best handmade 'artisan' Japanese knives ever - that's not an overstatement. And I do think they are worth every penny. I will probably overpay in the future fixing the stupid mistake I made in selling a stunning 240mm KU Shig gyuto, which had beautiful so-called 'clouds' that honestly had me thinking I was mistakingly sent a Kitaeji. IF I was to pay $3000 for a knife, it would be a Shigefusa over all else...

What's annoying is the artificially inflated prices driven by collector's and/or perceived rarity - especially when you want an actual working knife! Same issue with vintage and even modern Leica, certain brands of fountain pens, vintage watch market (according to some older than me, in the early 90s you couldn't give a bubble back Rolex away!). Look at some of the prices Masamoto KS gyutos were driving (specifically in White 2). I think it's a shame when these knives are scooped and put in a drawer. Call me a romantic, but part of me feels it's a disgrace to the maker of a tool if the item isn't being used as such...

Like I said, I'm bitter :)

Badgertooth and Eloh like this.
  11. Dec 10, 2019 #41

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

So there is no confusion, I'm just going to state that I am not against collecting. I get it. Zweber12's collection is truly astonishing, and I commend him for his passion and effort. I'm very much into craft and design, and so I love how he has curated his collection, and made it into something - I think - much more significant.

Zweber12 likes this.
  12. Dec 10, 2019 #42

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

I think this actually confused me:pullinghair:. I understood your stance before this clarification. You are not against collecting, but you are against these same collectors driving up prices and not using knives for what they were created to be used for?

bahamaroot and Corradobrit1 like this.
  13. Dec 10, 2019 #43

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Shigs are meant to be beautiful drawer queens. Why would you ever want to cut with them? They’re ground fat and don’t perform well unless you thin them quite a bit.

bahamaroot likes this.
  14. Dec 10, 2019 #44

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

Huh? The two Shigs I owned were my best cutters, with the most functional distal taper on the board. Very thin at the edge, but not a laser by any stretch. Yet, tip work was "laser like" and delicate. Easily my favourite grind of all time.

15. Dec 10, 2019 #45

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Thats not how I would describe more recent ie last couple of year iterations, based on (gyuto) choil shots and owner descriptions.

bahamaroot likes this.
  16. Dec 10, 2019 #46

McMan

McMan

McMan

You try a 150 nashiji TF?

lemeneid and bahamaroot like this.
  17. Dec 10, 2019 #47

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

Nah, I'm not so dogmatic and insecure to tell people what they should be doing with their time and money. I'm just bitter :p

When I said I have the collecting gene, what I meant more was I have a propensity to "curate" to my desired needs and tastes. But I have to be measured in approach by reminding myself why I became interested in something in the first place (ex. cooking, photography, writing, etc.). Otherwise, I tend to get "into" the gear aspect, which defeats the original purpose (creating something and/or improving an actual skillset).

And yes, SOME collectors are to blame for driving up prices because a lot of them have more money than sense :)

But, I would never tell them what to do with their hard earned dollar.

18. Dec 10, 2019 #48

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

Speaking from personal experience from knives made about 8-10 yers ago. I have no clue if the grinds have changed, but photos don't equate to experience on the board IMO. I'm interested in hearing some user/owner feedback regarding the newer knives.

19. Dec 10, 2019 #49

danemonji

danemonji

danemonji

Choil shots can be very very missleading. Sanjo knifes or Kato for example ca look quite thick at the choil as the knife is at its fattest close to the handle. But they usually taper down to thin grinds. I have no shig so i cannot comment on their thickness...i am just making a point on choil shots.

20. Dec 10, 2019 #50

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

This is by not true for all Shigs, although it certainly is for a bunch of them. I have a 270 kitaeji that cuts very well from factory, and the same goes for my 180 KU nakiri and a 165 kitaeji nakiri I tried once. There's also single bevels...

Yes, a lot of double bevel Shigs are wedgy, but they are so well ground it's easy to follow the grind when thinning. And certainly not all of them are too fat, that's just misinformation.

Mute-on and dmonterisi like this.
  21. Dec 10, 2019 #51

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

No, only a gyuto

22. Dec 10, 2019 #52

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Supporting Member

OK, I think I understand. You are bitter about the reality of things and how the world works, but acknowledge that to each his own and support people's ability to decide what to do with their money regardless if you agree with or understand their motives. A stance like that I understand and agree with.

bahamaroot likes this.
  23. Dec 10, 2019 #53

Canadian

Canadian

Canadian

Yes. And I don't want to belittle people's free choice, though I realize I'm coming off critical of it - I can accept that.

Barmoley likes this.
  24. Dec 10, 2019 #54

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

How tall is yours? I have a heiji 180 petty on order atm.

25. Dec 10, 2019 #55

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

Hz_zzzzzz

yea the world sucks, but stuff like nice knives definitely makes it less suffering to me

26. Dec 10, 2019 #56

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

We’re all playing a game of merry go round with our pettys. I just catched and released a sweet shigehiro 180 (172mm) petty.
    If you can handle soft iron on a petty definitely try and track one down. I can’t, traded for a Takayuki Ginsan 150mm and I’m pretty happy with it.

IsoJ and jimmy_d like this.
  27. Dec 10, 2019 #57

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

Yep I got one of these with the Ebony/Horn handle and it's my daily driver. I also picked up a 150 Toyama which is quite tall just a tad over 30mm and very thin behind the edge.

McMan likes this.
  28. Dec 10, 2019 #58

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

Been using a TF 150mm Nashiji for several years now, my most used knife next to a gyuto.

29. Dec 10, 2019 #59

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

I bought the TF 150 Petty and the 240mm Nashiji Gyuto. The petty is used daily the Gyuto sits in a box since I find it too heavy.

30. Dec 10, 2019 #60

McMan

McMan

McMan

~$90 (or $120 w/ octo) for the petty direct from TF.
    Definitely worth a try. I'm on my third or fourth. I stopped being interested in other petties after the first one.

Draft saved Draft deleted