• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Shigefusa Kitaeji Chukabocho

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck.. I know where a few are but sadly they are all going to the grave with their owners. It doesn’t help it when Shigefusa has officially said that they will never make them chukas again.. too much work involved

Good luck.. I know where a few are but sadly they are all going to the grave with their owners. It doesn’t help it when Shigefusa has officially said that they will never make them chukas again.. too much work involved

Yep. But I gotta try!

Wow. THE HUNT...is ON :p

Elephant hunt/unicorn /Moby dick ????

GLWSearch OP

For that kind of money I wonder if they'd just make you one...

Ok, out of curiosity.
Does anyone have pictures or dimensions of one of these unicorns so I can make a variant, lol
I mean I am guessing around the same size as a Sugimoto #7 ?

Last edited:
Pretty sure he has to visit himself to have a minimum shot at getting one in the near future

Make sure to book an appointment ahead of time.. he refuses to see you without an “introducer”. I made that mistake recently.. literally at their front door and only asked for a photo.. they refused [emoji17]
You should have started putting 50$ bills under the door. They would have opened eventually (joke)

You should have started putting 50$ bills under the door. They would have opened eventually (joke)

They leave their door open during the day. I got someone to rang them when I was nearby to see if I can swing by and get a photo. they said no.

it's an eye opener. I was expecting a flashy house and expensive cars.. far from it.. they drive mini (Japanese style) Daihatsu vans

really makes you wonder if they get any of the profits/money that their products command

it's an eye opener. I was expecting a flashy house and expensive cars.. far from it.. they drive mini (Japanese style) Daihatsu vans

really makes you wonder if they get any of the profits/money that their products command

Flashy house and expensive cars? Really? Your actual account is how I imagine their living standard.

Shigefusa is relatively prolific but it is labour intensive work. I also wouldn't be surprised if they subscribe to a different economic model than the 'West'. The most aggressive price increases are on the second-hand market. They could clearly raise their prices through their official retail channels but it seems they have not.... I guess not everything has to be about profit...

They leave their door open during the day. I got someone to rang them when I was nearby to see if I can swing by and get a photo. they said no.

And you've seen where Kato lives with his adjoining workshop. Hardly ostentatious. Nah the makers aren't making a killing, just the middle men with connections and flippers

Last Shig Kasumi 210 I bought from Japan Woodworker was 375 bucks brand new in 2016. Insane.

Last Shig Kasumi 210 I bought from Japan Woodworker was 375 bucks brand new in 2016. Insane.
Yup. JWW was the jam for a while... Kasumi shigs now and then, 180 KU shigs for $229; western yoshikane, Blazen... Then it all dried up.

Forget that Shig, this is what The Nine is up to in terms of Kitaeji-esque big cleavers... (not mine--somebody on IG has this and has good taste :)--
upload_2019-12-19_22-36-43.png

A2754734-A5A3-4F3C-96FD-970914BF6508.jpeg
Forget that Shig, this is what The Nine is up to in terms of Kitaeji-esque big cleavers... (not mine--somebody on IG has this and has good taste :)--
View attachment 67123
That’s mine, Robert excels at cleavers. Asked for a 200x100 with a weight of 360-380 grams. I received that dammy, 200x100spot on and it weighs 374 grams. The grind is amazing. A real pleasure to work with too.

Last edited:
View attachment 67124
That’s mine, Robert excels at cleavers. Asked for a 200x100 with a weight of 360-380 grams. I received that dammy, 200x100spot on and it weighs 374 grams. The grind is amazing. A real pleasure to work with too.
Wow! That’s about as good as it gets. If you ever want to sell that, I’m a buyer.

Yup. JWW was the jam for a while... Kasumi shigs now and then, 180 KU shigs for $229; western yoshikane, Blazen... Then it all dried up.
Dried up, ya! 2016 was the end of an era in the knife world.

View attachment 67124
Ha! Cool--small world. (Though I figured anybody with taste like that in knives was bound to be here...)

Back