Shigefusa Santoku re-profile to Funayuki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to go back to the mouse sander as the stone polish exposed the horizontal line just below KU, which doesn’t look natural.

This time, no bevel stop rig, just mouse sander 40/120/240/600/1200, and finally 2000.

I pushed the KU Shinogi furtber up, it’s much much thinner than stock. Here is the finished knife, looks more like a Gyuto than Santoku now. Finally, I am happy with this knife after two weeks of thinning.
6w1xH8U.jpg

4NBDazQ.jpg

Here is the new Funayuki profile, what you guys think? Is it good enough for pointy tip? should I go further?
Jn3hXcr.jpg

The picture above shows the new bevel with cleanly raised KU line. I made a simple stopper rig on my mouse sander. This allows me to precisely set the bevel depth & make convex grind with little chance of messing up: I call this my “Mouse Beveller”.

I made the bevel wider than Shig. original.
The wider bevel will allow a convex grind to be thinner behind the edge, thus, make my Shig. cut better than before:

7vivg7c.jpg

looking good man.

i have "reprofiled" several knives. my last one was a hinoura 240 into a 180 santoku :) used an angle grinder for that.

i like your setup. probably gonna try that one out myself in the future. for flattening bevels.

I decided to go back to the mouse sander as the stone polish exposed the horizontal line just below KU, which doesn’t look natural.

This time, no bevel stop rig, just mouse sander 40/120/240/600/1200, and finally 2000.

I pushed the KU Shinogi furtber up, it’s much much thinner than stock. Here is the finished knife, looks more like a Gyuto than Santoku now. Finally, I am happy with this knife after two weeks of thinning.
6w1xH8U.jpg

4NBDazQ.jpg

Nice, too bad some of the KU is fading. You could mask off some of the kurouchi to make it crisp when you sand it down.

nice, you should be able to polish it even more. how to maintain a slight convex is pretty tricky.

Well, I did just that. I was happy with the performance but still not digging the look, I went ahead with round 3 of thinning, followed by removal of KU to turn it into Nashiji finish, then topped off with Chicken breast patina to give it a custom look. I am finally happy with the look, pretty bad ass & it cuts on par with my thinned TF Maboroshi.

Done, Finished!

ZRgWPZC.jpg

pHgGTO0.jpg

fjnNBlZ.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what’s wrong with the Shig Ku Santokus (other than the general KKF preference for anything but Santokus)?

I just bought one from JNS and my wife first impression is that it's too heavy. I haven't used it yet as I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it (or give it to family).

Yeah, it’s on the hefty side. Mine with custom handle upgrade weights 185g for 170mm. After 3 weeks of thinning, it’s 166g for 167mm, more reasonable.

Back