Knives & Stones Shinko Kurokumo R2 by Shiro Kamo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
attachment.php

I certainly think the Syousin Suminagashi R2 Shiro Kamo has some of the best price / performance ratio for a hand forged, powdered steel knife. It is one of the best sellers at K&S. Customers love it, and I want to make it even better.

How?

The answer is Shinko Kurokumo (辰光·黑雲).
The concept of the Kurokumo is very similar to my Syousin Chiku Migaki line: people really like a standard line, so I make up a even better custom line based on it.

Shinko (辰光) is the K&S in house brand and the Kurokumo (黑雲, black cloud) represents the acid etched damascus pattern. The knife itself is idential to the Syousin Suminagashi namely same profile, same grind and the same core-steel (R2).

Extra compared to the standard Syousin Suminagashi
  • Acid etch the blade to give it a more pronounced damacus pattern,
  • Rounded choil and spine just like the Chiku migaki and the K&S Tanaka
  • K&S signature semi-custom handle: ebony single spacer with blonde / marble ferrule
Hope you like it as I do :O
Please click here for further details

Shinko-Kurokumo.jpg

Looks good James. Nice handle.
Syousin Suminagashi is a great all round knife. It looks like you've made it even better.

Looks good James. Nice handle.
Syousin Suminagashi is a great all round knife. It looks like you've made it even better.

Thanks Phil! Gotta keep trying :p

Are this and Syousin Suminagashi knives wide bevel knives?

Happy to say I've got one inbound! Looks like another great one from K&S! Looking forward to some board time with this.

So much lust for this.

James, you say it's the "same" blade as the Suminagashi, but that is listed as 59mm height and this is listed as 57mm. Am I correct in assuming that's a matter of copy-to-copy variation? I want to try a big ol' TALL gyuto...

Very nice, James. I continue to be impressed with your offerings.

My Syousin Siminagashi is very tall, which suits me. I suspect the difference is a combination of measurement variation and blade to blade variation but I'm interested to hear what James says about it.

The grind is well executed with very good food relese (for a middelewight) but still quite thin (for a middlewight). IMO, it finds a nice tradeoff between thinness and food release. I haven't sharpened this knife yet (edge retention is very good) but the edge comes straight back with a light strop on diamond loaded balsa.

210mm Shinko Kurokumo Blade Hight Listed at heel is 53 mm correct ?

That’s a nice profile, I love the heel height. I do wish there was a choil shot on the page/link. Very nice offering!

The only thing i don't like with this new knife is food release! I thought with the Damascus blade this would not happen as much . Is this happening because its new , will it stop sticking over time?

Last edited:
I got my Kurokumo yesterday, I think I'll agree with some that the damascus texture doesn't affect food release significantly. It might be slightly less sticky than my masashi or kono.

FnF great, tall profile, balance point is at the heel thanks to the very fat ebony handle, the acid etch is quite dramatic. I may have finally found my ideal properties in a middleweight.

It's my first SG2 and no joke firm on the stones. I started at 1500 then 5k, I might go back to the 1k to really get a fresh screaming edge but it cuts well for now.

Back