Shipping a kitchen knife TO Japan?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience shipping a kitchen knife TO Japan ( @osakajoe ) ? And if I should be mindful of a description, value, etc? This would be sent as a gift for the upcoming holiday season.

Receiving knives FROM Japan hasn’t been a problem, I’ve always asked to sent as “kitchen knife” because “kitchen tool” is too generic and may beg some questions. I don’t know if that goes both ways though, or if the recipient will have to pay to receive it (kinda defeats the purpose of a gift).

My plan B is to bring in checked luggage, but that could potentially be misinterpreted as a “bladed weapon” on the disembarkation card and I’d hate to have issues.

I feel like plan B is a bad idea. I think TSA has a ban on straight razors. So I’m thinking a kitchen knife is a bad idea.

I feel like plan B is a bad idea. I think TSA has a ban on straight razors. So I’m thinking a kitchen knife is a bad idea.
Maybe you're thinking about carry on.
TSA doesn't care if you have knives in your checked luggage.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/sharp-objects

I carry knives back and forth to Japan in my check luggage all the time. It's no problem.

If you mail the knife to Japan, there is a chance that the recipient will have to pay 5% import duty plus 8% VAT based on the declared value.

I would transport the knife in checked baggage.

Last edited:
I believe tsa is only in us... pretty sure he's flying from Canada and no clue of rules there... I'd suggest checking w local authorities...have fun on your trip!

If you mail the knife to Japan, there is a chance that the recipient will have to pay 5% import duty plus 8% VAT based on the declared value.

I think the VAT in Japan is now 10%.

Just note that you can not bring even kitchen knives with you in Japan without a very clear reason at the moment. Carry them only when it's necessary.

Are you just trying to find out whether quantum mechanics allows this transition? Frankly I am not sure :p

:eek:
I think the VAT in Japan is now 10%.

Just note that you can not bring even kitchen knives with you in Japan without a very clear reason at the moment. Carry them only when it's necessary.
Wait, really!?

I’m moving back to Japan next year... what am I going to with all of my knives? I have too many memories with some of them. I can’t sell them...:eek:

Bring it in your checked luggage. Simple easy no issues. If they ask say it is a kitchen knife. I have traveled with pocket knives and kitchen knives in and out of the country with not ever being asked anything.

Lots of chefs travel into Japan with their knives. And I’ve also seen people visiting Japan again who bring all their knives with them to get re-sharpened.

Shipping you run into import taxes once it’s over a certain amount. Of course you can always write the value you thinks it’s worth...

Last edited:
:eek:
Wait, really!?

I’m moving back to Japan next year... what am I going to with all of my knives? I have too many memories with some of them. I can’t sell them...:eek:

Sorry, my English was probably incorrect. I just meant it’s better to leave your knife at your hotel room once you have arrived at your hotel.

You would be able to carry your knife in your bag on the way from the airport to your hotel. You also would be able to carry your knife in your bag on the way form your hotel to the place where you meet Osakajoe as you have a valid reason that you are going to give the knife to him. However, after you have arrived at your hotel on the first day, if you go to the downtown to take dinner with your bag, with keeping your knife in it, that could be a problem. Reasons like “not to forget to put it back into the bag tomorrow" could not be considered as a vlid reason (immediate necessity would be required for a valid reason), and you might get arrested. It’s just a tip to avoid unnecessary troubles in a fun trip.

By the way, if you will bring back your oyster knives to Japan as well, check the blade length and if it has a pointed-double-edged blade. If it’s longer than 5.5cm, it could be considered as a weapon (dagger) and illegal to posses.

Japanese knife laws are very strict, having been reinforced after the 2009 Akihabara knife incident. The maximum blade length permitted is a mere 5.5cm which is 2.1 inches. This is the length for carrying, even without any reason.
But if you have a valid reason you can carry/transport a larger knife. Outdoors knives of any length blade can be carried when hunting, fishing, camping, trekking/hiking, etc. Cooking knives can be carried for taking to be sharpened, or for work by a professional. Exceptions are onboard planes (obviously)and recently trains. Again due to a recent knife crime aboard a train.
Knives with blades exceeding 6cm (2.36 in) must be "packed" away in a bag/luggage, ie; not on your body where readily accessible. Double edged "daggers" and "Tantos" blade knives are now illegal in Japan. Only trouble I've ever had was when an airport X-ray operator mistook a USB in my bag for an "Army Knife" (Japanese for Swiss Army Knife), boarding a domestic flight. While the knife laws in Japan are strict, having to give a "reason" of course implies that you are questioned by Police as to why you possess a knife. This doesn't happen to very many people in the first place.
I've also carried both outdoor and kitchen knives out of and into Japan/US in my checked in luggage numerous times without ever any problem. Have also shipped kitchen knives by both airfreight and sea freight to Japan. Just mark them as Houcho/Hocho on the customs form as the word "knife" has a different connotation.

Back