Shipping from Russia to US / Question on the Russian Post tracking info

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with shipping from Russia into the US could you send me a PM.

I am curious as to how useful, or not, the tracking information is from the Russian Post.

Much appreciated,

Most tracking services for Post worldwide is iffy at the moment. I have stuff in transit that has taken more than 30-40 days to update.

I have recently bought smth from Andrei Markin. He shipped quickly, but Russian Post is literally snail mail!!! It took them almost 4 weeks to get smth from Russia to Austria. Or to be more precise, the package was inside of Russia for 95% of its total delivery time! Once it was in Austria, the package was delivered within a day... I understand that Russia is big though! ;)

I assume the situation with international postage is different right now. Several times I ordered things from Russia the delivery time was acceptable. Usually there is no updates between the package leaves Russia and arrives to the country of destination.

I have recently bought smth from Andrei Markin. He shipped quickly, but Russian Post is literally snail mail!!! It took them almost 4 weeks to get smth from Russia to Austria. Or to be more precise, the package was inside of Russia for 95% of its total delivery time! Once it was in Austria, the package was delivered within a day... I understand that Russia is big though! ;)
This, except to the UK, been waiting for mask filters for weeks :(

Thx All - Much appreciate the responses.

FWIW - The Russian post shows the package being "received" & then "released" by custom's (Russian) with different time stamps. After that nothing.

However a similar package from late last year (Dec 2019) has the same steps of "received" & "released" by custom's (Russian) but then there is another step (with a later time stamp of several hours) of "Released from Russia" prior to it showing up in the US system 10 days later (as received by US Customs) after which it travels to me eventually.

Just been a month with no new updates so figured I would ask around here.

I’ve seen similar even before the virus, not only Russia, Sweden too. Had a knife in transit for 2 month without updates. Have another one from Sweden that has no updates at all. Right now international is bad and it was pretty bad from some countries before too.

The tracking doesn't do too much for you. I get knives and wood from Ukraine and Russia fairly often and it'll tell you that the package was recieved and in transit but I don't ever get any updates until its in customs.
3 weeks is the quickest I've ever gotten anything, I generally count on waiting 5-6. Most of the transit time is in Russia with no updates that last week is usually 5 days in customs and 2 days transit. I haven't ever had any packages lost though which is surprising.

Thx All - Much appreciate the responses.

FWIW - The Russian post shows the package being "received" & then "released" by custom's (Russian) with different time stamps. After that nothing.

However a similar package from late last year (Dec 2019) has the same steps of "received" & "released" by custom's (Russian) but then there is another step (with a later time stamp of several hours) of "Released from Russia" prior to it showing up in the US system 10 days later (as received by US Customs) after which it travels to me eventually.

Just been a month with no new updates so figured I would ask around here.

Happened to me once. It got here eventually. The next stamp was arrived in NY. I think it was about 6 weeks.

American here, and in addition to what others said already, I noticed how long it takes to arrive is not predictable. Once I got a package in less than 3 weeks, another time it was over 8 weeks for the same size/weight package sent the same way. 🤷‍♂️

Figured I would update this thread - out of the blue the package arrived today ... no indication (ever) that it was received by US Customs or moving through the US at all ... just suddenly today "delivery" and now I see that the tracking info has been updated to reflect delivery (nothing else from 'release from Russian customs' ... just 'delivery' in the US).

All's well that ends well I guess ... 12.5 weeks door to door ...

Given the pandemic 12.5 weeks sound reasonable.

Glad you didn't receive an empty box. We've had issues before with packages being sent to us from Russia (still missing a package containing silver cups my wife's family sent to us as a wedding present 10+ years ago).

Given the pandemic 12.5 weeks sound reasonable.

I tend to agree - just would have preferred that US customs had a notification of receipt on the shipping info. Only took 4 days to be received/released from Russian customs. More about the unknown/uncontrollable variables ... can you say "control issues" ... LOL

US Customs is a black hole. USPS, UPS, etc. cannot easily access/ look into the US Customs databases -- only very select personnel on separate secure workstations from what I understand. (i.e., the average USPS employee at a post office cannot do this)

US Customs is a black hole. USPS, UPS, etc. cannot easily access/ look into the US Customs databases -- only very select personnel on separate secure workstations from what I understand. (i.e., the average USPS employee at a post office cannot do this)

Sad but true ... FWIW it is not the postal service folks I am disappointed with ...

understood, just letting KKFers out there know that US Customs is a black hole when it comes to shipping info. Lots of people blame the carrier (USPS, UPS, etc.) but there is very little those companies can do or find out while the gov't is in possession of the packages.

My Father's Day gift Wakui from Aframes was shipped to HK via USPS (supposedly expedited) one day after ordering on June 13. Tracking shows it took two weeks to get from Mililani to Honolulu then disappeared into some netherworld where the last "on route to next facility" notification was made on July 5. Maybe by next Father's Day.

Latest posts

Back