Shipping service & cost?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iandustries

Reaction score
Hi folks, for those who have shipped knives out of the US to Asia, what service did you use and how much did it cost ? I m looking to make a return to Tsubaya in Japan.

US Mail is going to be a lot cheaper than the commercial shippers however, right now shipping rates are crazy high.

I looked at shipping some seasonings, about 16oz of weight to Europe, and was quoted over $60 using US Mail within the last week. I had to use UPS once to send my blood pressure medicine to Germany and freight alone was over $100 for a pill bottle weighing a few ounces. Customs and other fees made me wonder if it would have been better to fly home on the company's nickel and return but, time commitments wouldn't allow that either. Still ticked my insurance didn't allow a "vacation" or business trip refill since I was overseas beyond the 30 days allowed by my insurance for prescriptions.

I just had a very large knife (2lb box) shipped from NY to me in Japan by USPS it was USD 42.00.
I calculate a Hocho in a typical size box for it should be USD 27.00.
I used the USPS postage calculator:
Retail Postage Price Calculator (usps.com)

Thank you! This is exactly the info I need. I envy your current location in Sapporo. It's been a minute since I was there. Can't forget the amazing miso ramen I had at this one shop. Maybe you've been there?

Yukikaze Ramen:

1632313968543.png

Thart's Menya Yukikaze in Susukino. The main shop. I haven't been to Susukino since this pandemic started. Don't know when you were last in Sapporo but without the Chinese tourists, all of Hokkaido is really empty now.
Big shops like Yukikaze are still in business but with the on and off restrictions we've had, many shops have closed over the last year.

Last edited:
Thart's Menya Yukikaze in Susukino. The main shop. I haven't been to Susukino since this pandemic started. Don't know when you were last in Sapporo but without the Chinese tourists, all of Hokkaido is really empty now.
Big shops like Yukikaze are still in business but with the on and off restrictions we've had, many shops have closed over the last year.

Thats really sad. I am waiting for the restrictions to be lifted so that I can visit Japan again. I would stop by every time I visit home (Singapore) from NYC.

Hokkaido is a "bucket list" place for me. Sure, Tokyo is the big draw and I would like to hit some of the bigger sites and shopping areas but, Hokkaido is the big draw for me. If I had the time and money to travel Japan, the more rural or non-megalopolis areas would have my attention.

Back