Shipping to US from Canada

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening all. As a newbie to knife selling I'm not familiar with the challenges that I might encounter in shipping items to the US from Canada. Perhaps it's easy and there aren't any issues, but I know that coming the other way I've ben hit with extra fees like customs/brokerage and want to be prepared to conduct a proper sale so that each party is satisfied. If anyone has any tips or links to references that I can use to educate myself, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

No issues, just double check that packages below $800 have no customs issues.

It's less expensive to ship to US insured than the other way around. Buyer didn't mention that he got anything to pay on receiving the package - as for the other way around I incurred a 40$ duties/taxes bill for a 200$ CAD (converted) knife. We we're just after Lockdown at that moment when I sold (May 2020) and it took the better part of three weeks for my package to land to its destination. I waited about the same to get mine in June. Both times the packages went through Canada Post - USPS or the other way around obviously.

Here's what I'll say.

USPS is 'so so' all across the country. Generally best option for more rural destinations.

FedEx and UPS can be really great or really horrible depending on the part of the country you are in.

DHL is more costly and most reliable.

Back