Shipping with FedEx

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Barmoley Also check out Parcel Monkey - I've used them a bit without issue (so far). I think having a middle man, even if you pay a little more up front, is starting to make more sense as a model given the challenges the pandemic has uncovered.
Do they honor the price quoted or monkey around with it after the fact?

USPS delivered a couple of knives for me on Monday I was told by my seller that a signature would be required but when I met my driver outside he said he signed for it and was about to set it on my porch, so if they did get stolen I’m out $800 kinda defeats the purpose pandemic or not the other thing that irritates me is nobody ever knocks or rings the door bell anymore to let you know there leaving a package I mean how hard is that your already at the door.

USPS delivered a couple of knives for me on Monday I was told by my seller that a signature would be required but when I met my driver outside he said he signed for it and was about to set it on my porch, so if they did get stolen I’m out $800 kinda defeats the purpose pandemic or not the other thing that irritates me is nobody ever knocks or rings the door bell anymore to let you know there leaving a package I mean how hard is that your already at the door.

That's how they've been operating during the pandemic—paying extra for signature is meaningless if using USPS. FedEx/UPS/DHL is the only way to go for high value knives IMO—unless you are willing to gamble.

over here they ring, you open the door the package gets put down, you pick it up and they ask you if they now can sign off on your behalf and they ask your name (FWIW). Some rogue drivers may try get out of that song and dance but the majority follows that process.

over here they ring, you open the door the package gets put down, you pick it up and they ask you if they now can sign off on your behalf and they ask your name (FWIW). Some rogue drivers may try get out of that song and dance but the majority follows that process.

You're lucky. In my building, USPS just dumps a pile of boxes on the lobby floor. I studiously follow the tracking, and race (if nearby) to the lobby when I get an alert saying it's been delivered and signed for.

As a somebody who does not ship things but receives some packages FedEx is the worse by a mile.
Several times I looked for different retailer to avoid Fedex and always willing to pay a bit more to use something else.

For me nothing beats CanadaPost/USPS/EMS
Second choice would be UPS
Purolator and Fedex, no thank you. This two can go F themselves.

DHL is ok, many time there are just no alternatives. Europe likes to use it.

I was in London just over a week ago. My cousin and I bought a couple books to send to my son in Missouri for his birthday

cousin went to a website that looked at different shipping prices

we boxed it up and printed out the labels and the next day a Fed-ex driver came to the house door. Scanned the package and said it looks good and took off.

The next day my son received the package. It was shocking and only about $45

edit- picked up on Monday, shipped from London on Tuesday and received in Missouri Wednesday

Last edited:
So, I got to the bottom of it after I got hit with the extra charge for the second time. If you ship something with FedEx in a shipping tube or any other cylindrical package they charge you extra $13 for special handling. They say it is in their end user agreement. The website calculator does not take this into consideration even though it would be very easy for them to implement something like that. Just a check or radio button that you click if your package is cylindrical. You click that and bam, it adds $13 to your estimate, would help me. Alternatively, a person behind the counter could tell me. In any case, there is nothing they can do and it is my responsibility as a customer to read the shipment agreement. So ended up paying $31.50 and $31.96 for domestic ground shipment of 2 knives last month, both packages were around a pound each. On the bright side both knives arrived safe. Will pay another $13, soon as I sent one more knife in a tube, $39 worth of education......

So, I got to the bottom of it after I got hit with the extra charge for the second time. If you ship something with FedEx in a shipping tube or any other cylindrical package they charge you extra $13 for special handling. They say it is in their end user agreement. The website calculator does not take this into consideration even though it would be very easy for them to implement something like that. Just a check or radio button that you click if your package is cylindrical. You click that and bam, it adds $13 to your estimate, would help me. Alternatively, a person behind the counter could tell me. In any case, there is nothing they can do and it is my responsibility as a customer to read the shipment agreement. So ended up paying $31.50 and $31.96 for domestic ground shipment of 2 knives last month, both packages were around a pound each. On the bright side both knives arrived safe. Will pay another $13, soon as I sent one more knife in a tube, $39 worth of education......
I am glad you got to the bottom of it and shared the info with the community!

Back