Shoboudani from Metalmaster

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyprofane

Reaction score
Answering some questions from another thread here but thought I'll make this into a new thread so people could find it easier by the Title.

Original Thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...one-please-tell-me-about-this-mine#post442429

The stone was labeled as a "YAMAICHI SHOHONZAN" but Badgertooth pointed out that it's a Shoboudani which MM sells on his eBay. Link to the stone on MM: http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/628

Funny enough, the only one I ever tried was from MM. Cheap but good and probably doesn't get enough time in my sharpening rotation. Not as soft as I thought it'd be at level 3.5 but that's not an issue. I'd still be keen to try the big level 3 he's got.

I have/have had several. One of the very knife-friendly finer stones, for sure. Generally easy to use, not too fine, good for finishing. Tomae are probably superior to most other Tomae that suit knives. I've heard of some very good suita, but don't own and haven't tried one.

Good on you!!

Thanks, buying from MM can feel like a bit of gamble, you get a good price but he usually won't answer any questions and in this case the stone was even mislabeled. Thanks for pointing out what it really is. I pulled the trigger because of your and Asteger's comments.

Tell me more please! Grit, hardness. Pics!? Thanks! :doublethumbsup:

I would guess the hardness to be around 3, it's not very hard and produces mud quite quickly, not as much and quickly as an Aoto but much more than a Suita. It feels coarser than my Suita but definitely finer than my Khao Men so I would guess that it's around 5000 which is great for a low level fine finish.

The feeling of sharpening is very nice, for me almost perfect. Smooth but not too muddy, not too soft, not sticky at all, a very nice sound, and a nice earthy smell.

It is quite fast. I've test sharpened on my Herder 58 HRC Carbon knife which is probably my easiest to sharpen knife, so that take that in mind looking at my pics. But the stone is definitely faster than a lot of my other stones:

CLZjVzC.jpg

After 20 seconds of sharpening:

kkBeuNe.jpg

After 2 minutes

jcIkZAu.jpg

After 4 minutes:

ukyJirP.jpg

Interestingly, the Shoubudani Tomaes on MMs eBay have three stamps but this one has four stamps.

It's this stamp which is missing on his other Shoubus:

FJwi5Ib.jpg

Perhaps it's for the Namazu (Catfish) pattern. Any idea, anyone?

I think the big asterisk that needs to accompany my guess with the mine is that I said it *looks* exactly like a namazu patterned stone labelled as Shobu on his eBay. But this is pure conjecture. But from the way it is behaving for you, it certainly gives credence to Asteger's description. In the end, it is nothing more than a label for a stone that sounds absolutely awesome for knife finishing whatever its provenance.

But you are right, if you compare the other three stamps on the stone, they are exactly the same. I also sent the a picture of the stone to Shinichi who confirmed that it's a Shobu. But perhaps that stamp is the Yamaichi stamp which according to Shinichi is the distributor. This makes even more sense when you compare the stamp to this Yamaichi (which has otherwise other stamps): http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...another-J-Nat-Saw-this-one?highlight=yamaichi

So, I was wrong when I wrote that the stone was mislabeled.

Last 3 of the 4 characters of your last picture just denote 'real mountain'/honyama. Top character I dunno

Great looking stone...I was eyeing this one or a similar one some months back :) have you tried it out on wide bevels yet?

Hard to say, the colours are different. The one on eBay is more greenish so it might be a little harder? According to MM they're both 3,5. The only difference in the charts by him is that mine has a little more "grinding power" although difference might be negligible.

In my experience the availabilities always differ. He also offers completely different stones on Japanese yahoo auctions.

Up to now buying from MM has been a bit of gamble : Some good, most excellent and some awesome Jnats. I like BIG stones and can not afford big ones from other sellers. I pay for the stone not for the service. Up to now only one stone has a inclusion; I sharpen around. BTW I like hard stones and fine Jnats, use synthetics for low grit. I am not able to see any difference between different low grit stone used at the beginning after finish sharpening on fine grit stone.

Haha no worries. I'm trying to limit myself to just getting an Ohira Renge Suita during the holidays

For my orders it seems like he only ships out during the weekends. And then add 1-3 or so weeks from there (I'm in the US)

FWIW I was eye-banging this last night and despite trying to free up some funds, very nearly bought it. I reckon it's one hell of a stone. A smart pick.

FWIW I was eye-banging this last night and despite trying to free up some funds, very nearly bought it. I reckon it's one hell of a stone. A smart pick.

Thanks! I'm picking up lots of great tips from you guys.

Do you still have the Shobudani that is shown in post #1 of this thread? Do you use it very much? Sounds like yours might be a bit harder than the ones benny and smash reviewed? (Though I appreciate such things are subjective to a degree.)

Cheers,
Blair

Mine now!

Thanks to you and Smashmasta for the reviews...couldn't resist giving this a try.

Hopefully my 4-stamper will be close to the quality of yours (at least functionally, even if not aesthetically).

Cheers,
Blair

Enjoy. Things get really interesting when you throw in the permutations of different naguras (as is almost always the case), but these stones seem to accept and work with a wide variety very easily.

Latest posts

Back