Shoboudani Suita

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
Christmas present to self and solace after selling so many.

I'd read that these are on the easier end of the Suita spectrum for knives and decided to give it a go. I was also getting real pattern envy seeing all the amazing swirls, fingerprints and suminagashi type patterns that Shinichi was selling to @tgfencer @ynot1985 @aboynamedsuita (how apt) and @foody518

I managed to find one that ticked a few boxes aesthetically. It's a bone coloured stone with black suminagashi swirls juxtaposed against vivid yellow concentric ripples radiating out from the left of the stone:

As usual, I'm hoping someone will be able to help out with the kanji. Some are very faded and the stone has been restamped including the Kyoto stone association stamp.

These more faded ones may be tricky

I was gifted three very nice nagura- an ungraded piece of koma; a Tsushima; and a tomo, but in honesty it doesn't need them. As the video below will show, it gets going pretty quickly on its own.

In sharpening, it's softer than other Suita I have tried and very different in sensation and feedback to Okudo and different again to Ohira. It's the muddiest Suita I've tried but not a muddy stone by any means. Incredibly user friendly and pretty easy going on cladding without faceting or notable streaking. It feels less fine in usage than other Suita but the resultant edge on a Toyama I was sharpening is whistle clean, cleaner and more polished than I associate with Suita. It feels "right" on white steel with high heat treats, namely a Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi and an original Kato, producing that heady Suita mix of keenness and agression or bite. A surprise to me was when I lazily chucked on a Tanaka ginsanko for a touch up and it produced the most bitey edge I've ever achieved on that knife. It's the most pronounced difference I've felt across different steels with one stone.

https://youtu.be/LX3j_EtcM0g

The shot of the Toyama at the end of the video is not straight off the stone, its with a little homemade fingerstone action and a little silicone carbide clean up and blend attempt. Not quite an Ittetsu yet :(

Nice stone Otto, beautiful patterns! Excellent christmas present indeed, sounds like a joy to use. Did you get it from Shinichi?

Edit:Man that stone muds fast. Also, I always enjoy your videos.

Wow. Pretty impressive! That one is definitely a looker. The swarf accumulation was so thick it looked like you were moving dirty motor oil around on the stone.

Hii!

Nice Stone! looks pretty good. and whats more important it works awesome on most steels.
I dondt see Shobudani Suitas often, actually never ;)

Nice Pick!

Wow. Pretty impressive! That one is definitely a looker. The swarf accumulation was so thick it looked like you were moving dirty motor oil around on the stone.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of hitting behind the edge on the cladding first to get that action going early on and thin-as-you go, but I was amazed at how quickly it got going.

Logo:
天然 砥石 京都特產
Left:
菖蒲谷合砥
四十㧞 (40型)
Right:
正本山合砥

The nagura which I forgot to post in OP, pretty nice freebie.

The koma is ridiculously hard and kinda green. I'm almost convinced the Tomo is the piece missing from @fatboylim Aiiwatani koppa and the Tsushima is lovely as we know Tsushima to be.

Latest posts

Back