D. Martell Shop Upgrades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've know u for a long time and i know a few things too:

1) you are a quick study

2)you won't give up

3)these r gonna be some bad assssssssssss knives!

ryan

I ain't quittin! Just got to make some changes is all. :)

I had a go with the disc grinder again this morning, used 36x blue zirconia this time and only made a mild improvement in grind time. I'm starting to think that the belt will have to be used for the bulk work and then maybe switch over to the disc for finishing up to the edge as the disc provides a great no-blow-through the edge option. I guess time will tell though.

I somehow missed this thread until now. Good karma is catching up to you Dave. What goes around comes around and you've certainly spread a lot of the good around. Keep at it, it'll work.:)

Sounds awesome Dave! Can't wait to see your first offerings.

I'm getting closer... I'm trying to get some work out before disassembling all the machinery to move it around to accommodate the new stuff. There's nothing tougher than looking at new toys just sitting there and not being able to play with them.

I know. I too have been spending a good deal of time wiring the room, bringing in more lights, and doing some other improvements, rather than trying the new toys.

M

Latest shop upgrade >

P1010009.jpg

p1010007.jpg

p1010001.JPG

Funny, I just bought a fridge for the shop also, but yours is much cooler.

Now that is a shop upgrade .
nice one Dave

I just cracked open a nice cool bottle of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier.....mmmmm.....mmmmmm :evilgrin:

I dunno...I don't think your beer is cold enough. Maybe a few of us should stop by and check?

This fridge kicks ass, I've got it set on only #4 and it's almost too cold in an 80 deg shop! :happy1:

I should crank it up and open the door and maybe get some A/C going in here. :lol2:

I guess I was living too large here.....my drill press just crapped out. :doublebanghead:

What do you have, Dave? An oldie? I think you mentioned a while back you were restoring one.
I am trying to convince my landlord to sell me his ancient Walker Turner. It needs work, but I love that press. 3Phase, floor model, what's more to ask? I have an older Rockwell bench-top - a great machine, but that doesn't prevent me from looking for another - I have a soft spot for old American cast iron. :) You can't have too many tools!

M

I have a Walker-Turner that I inherited from my father. He probably got it in the 40's, it has the original motor and switch and works a charm! Talk about heavy iron!

What do you have, Dave? An oldie? I think you mentioned a while back you were restoring one.
I am trying to convince my landlord to sell me his ancient Walker Turner. It needs work, but I love that press. 3Phase, floor model, what's more to ask? I have an older Rockwell bench-top - a great machine, but that doesn't prevent me from looking for another - I have a soft spot for old American cast iron. :) You can't have too many tools!

M

It's a 1930(ish) bench top Walker Turner, one of their lower end models but built like a tank. If I ever come across a floor model WT I'm all over it - great presses. The old Rockwells are great as well.

For perspective: The switch on my modern Jet drill press went - literally - up in flames after a bit over a year... I wish I had one of those oldies.

Stefan

It's a 1930(ish) bench top Walker Turner, one of their lower end models but built like a tank. If I ever come across a floor model WT I'm all over it - great presses. The old Rockwells are great as well.

Walker Turners are great. I see them on sale on Craigslist periodically, but would need a van or truck to haul it to the shop. Have neither. It's much easier to buy one that is already here, so I need to work on my landlord a bit harder. :)

I could use a floor model. Sometimes bench-top model is just not tall enough.

M

Holy sucking tentacles batman! (don't try that in a google search!)

Wow Dave what's the power on that thing?

Wow, Dave actually posting pictures of his shop. What has this thread come to?

Old iron would be nice, but the new tools have handy things like a hand crank to lift the table, and lights mounted, and lasers, and quick release tension for the belts, and really nice tables that spin. :D

I just assembled my floor mounted drill press and love it.

That's the Martell Dustoctopus 3000, available on shopping channel soon!

Back