D. Martell Shop Upgrades

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was telling my wife today that I just want to get to work on these knives - enough screwing around with upgrading and fixing things - I just need some forward movement.

Just use the force, obi-wan-k'DaveMartell...you'll know when it's time...

He's gonna have so much dust pouring out the windows, the EPA will be stopping by ;)

TI minimise this problem, I place strong magnets ( taken out of spoilt hard disks) , not near the motors and at least abt 2 inches away from where the Knife will meet the blade and in the direction when the iron filings will go and to remove the metal filings/ dusts easily.. i put scotch tapes around it. AS I do most of my sharpening free hand without the platten, the magnets are stuck there.

Do be careful as it can attract the knife when it is too close..

So.. trial and error to find a perfect G spot. I mean a good spot.

rgds
Z

No need for that kind of language here .
Dave how long is the ban 2 weeks.:knife::nutskick:

No Pete's Schweddys balls is funny.
90.jpg
[/IMG]
Now on to Dave's knife's.:gunner:

Had another wee set back yesterday and today. Had a small fire start in my dust collector. Seems that belt fuzz, sparks, and plastic don't play well together. I got a HUGE hole burnt through the plastic pick-up hood behind the grinder, an 8" section of flex-hose burnt through, and the bench got scorched as well. This happened when the Blaze 60x belt fuzz piled up in the intake and ignited and was fanned on by the rushing air. I smelled the burning plastic, stopped to see what was burning, started tearing the system down and before I could figure it out the damage was done.

Today I removed the grinder from the bench, fabbed a new stainless intake bucket, and added stainless tubing down to the sucker. I'm not sure if this is enough though since the real problem exists from the belt fuzz. If I ground vertical I would just shoot it into a bucket of water but since I grind horizontal this isn't as easy an option. If it persists I'll just have to figure out a way to blast it downward into a bucket.

Sorry to hear that.. Better have a fire extinguisher around; in case there is too much " force" around. IN a few weeks time, you would most probably laugh abt the whole incident...

Incidentally, i certainly do hope that a good mask with the correct size pores to filter the iron filings (from your lungs) swirling around the workshop adn not to mention the exotic wood dust adn your nano size diamond particles powder for your stropping can be a serious health hazard, is part of your arsenal.

like they say in the movie.. " use the force" and "may the force be with you..."

Have fun...
D

Dave, if you are having fire issues, you need to build yourself a grinder bong.:biggrin:

Glad to hear you got a disc grinder Dave. I think in time you will find it is a great time saver for you. It is pretty darn amazing how high a finish you can put on a blade with slow speeds, jumped my hand finish work up several notches. Don't take near as long to hand sand when you finish out to 1500 grit on a nice slow spped disc!

Sorry to hear about the fire, glad it wasnt any worse than it was. Id look at adding a metal catch drum with water and a cyclone top (think grizzly has them)

God Bless
Mike

Back