Shopping hard, searching hard and the like

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Midsummer, Dec 20, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 20, 2019 #1

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

To be clear from the onset, this is a "teach a man to fish" thread.

This is a quote from another thread " You can find XXXXXX knives at other places besides XXX. You just need to look hard enough online" from @ynot1985

I have heard this type of response once before from another reliable source. The other time I heard it, it was something like, "you need to really shop hard".

Well, I do not doubt either mans words. But for me (and I am showing my ignorance here) once I have exhausted all the links that my search engine provides; what else is there? Do you search links in other engines? Do you try different languages? What am I missing?

Any insight is appreciated. If this thread dies here, that's OK too. Best wishes to you all and enjoy the holidays!

CiderBear likes this.
  2. Dec 20, 2019 #2

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

This refers to various layers I believe, searching in different languages is one of them (hello Japanese), creating connections over time is another, some of us simply browse a bunch of websites we have bookmarked for new stuff.
    Some websites take links down and they won't show up on regular searches unless you use Wayback machine or other engines.
    Regarding Toyamas, an easy answer for other online providers is that ChefsKnivesToGo has sold them in the past at least. And I have had people send me pics in mortar and brick stores in Japan with Toyamas. Two such stores as far as I remember but I don't recall the names, and it doesn't mean these are the only stores that carry them.

CiderBear and Midsummer like this.
  3. Dec 20, 2019 #3

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

I’ve done lots of Toyama searches lately, haven’t seen any place with it in stock. BST is probably the best bet, there’s been a few on it lately.

Midsummer likes this.
  4. Dec 20, 2019 #4

Midsummer

Midsummer

Midsummer

Supporting Member

I think, when I have time, I will try a search In Japanese. I speak English and Spanish. I guess I will try google translate unless there are better ideas?

Thanks for the reponses!

5. Dec 20, 2019 #5

Chicagohawkie

Chicagohawkie

Chicagohawkie

Use multiple browsers. Google in the us has become nothing more than a paid to redirect to paying entities. Try using something like yahoo.jp for searching for items. You’d be surprised what you come up with, trouble is you have to translate.

Midsummer likes this.
  6. Dec 20, 2019 #6

Random

Random

Random

Supporting Member

My experience is you will get a lot further with phone calls than with emails.

A lot of suppliers have things that are not in their web store, and the personal connection of a phone call is invaluable on a number of levels.

Midsummer likes this.
  7. Dec 20, 2019 #7

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

I don’t think that all of the knife sellers have particularly sophisticated websites, so as a result, the search engines may not scrape as much data as we would like them to. The presence of different languages for some sellers further complicates things. I’m admittedly not a search engine expert, but that’s my perception of the situation.

As a result, I don’t search much through a search engine. I have a running list of retailers and tend to browse sites one at a time. It’s definitely not the most efficient process, but it is effective.

Midsummer likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted