Shops in Japan

Discussion in 'Kitchen Knife Knowledge' started by donhoang14, Oct 4, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2018 #1

donhoang14

donhoang14

donhoang14

Hey everyone. I just landed in Japan yesterday and my plan all along was to head to Seki for the cutlery festival for all my knife curiosities.

But now that I've arrived, I've decided to be more open minded about it and check out other places. I went to the famous shop, Kamata in Tokyo already. Was wondering where else you guys would recommend?

My other stops will be in Nagoya, Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka, Nara, Okayama and finally Hiroshima.

2. Oct 5, 2018 #2

Sazeus

Sazeus

Sazeus

In Osaka I liked Ichimonji Chuki (super cheap shapton stones) and Tower Knives.

3. Oct 5, 2018 #3

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

Use your Google-fu for more details...

Tokyo:
    1. TFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTFTF
    2. Knife shops around Tsukiji Fish Market
    3. Kappabashi district
    4. Kiya shop in Tokyo Midtown because it's a pretty and pricey shop and Tokyo Midtown is a cool place.
    Kyoto:
    1. Shigeharu Knife shop on Horikawa Dori, 500 meters south of Nijo Castle. 20+ generation blacksmith doing his thing!
    2. Aritsugu Knife shop in Nishiki Market. Touristy but they speak English and you'll likely visit Nishiki anyway
    3. Hayakawa Hamonoten is another knife shop about 500m from Nishiki Market
    Osaka
    1. Tower Knives: owned by a Canadian....check out youtube for a look at his shop.
    2. Sennichimae Doguyasuji is the Kitchenware street with a couple of large knife shops that speak English and sell Sakai made knives. It's near Dotonbori, which you should also see.
    3. You can day trip to Sakai and see the knife museum and some showrooms, but I've never bothered. If you have a Japan Rail Pass it's easy!
    The fish market in Kanazawa is awesome...lot's of stalls and small restaurants to eat at and you must do Keiten sushi.

LucasFur likes this.
  4. Oct 5, 2018 #4

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

TF. Should be obligatory if you've ever considered buying one of his knives. Will avoid risk of disappointment and you will have some local sale-only examples to consider.

5. Oct 5, 2018 #5

donhoang14

donhoang14

donhoang14

So I just did a google search for TF knives in Tokyo and it came up with nothing. Who is this TF you two speak so highly of??

6. Oct 5, 2018 #6