Should Have Done This First

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
I guess I should have introduced myself before I started posting other places, so, better late than never.

I am The BoardSMITH, a professional woodworker making cutting boards full time.

I have been a woodworker since I was 14, almost 50 years and I mainly grew up in the furniture plant my dad was the plant manager of. I built my shop over 20 years ago.

Fast forward to 2005. My last employer was making things rough on the sales force and we knew something was going to happen. I started looking around for another opportunity but at 57 those were far and few between. In April 2005 I was offered either an early retirement w/severance or take a 25 to 30% pay cut, take the expanded territory with the expanded quota and hope the commissions would stay somewhat the same. So I looked around for something I could build to support myself and in the process spotted the first cutting board I built in 1993 and, as they say, the rest is history. By the time the job ended, I was already well on my way. Shortly after Dave bought one of my boards from my eBay ads and the introduction to the other forum was made.

I quickly outgrew my little shop and finally moved last year to a 4500 sq ft shop, of which I am only using 2500 sq ft presently. I make 300 to 500 boards a year and have hired a part-time kid to come in after school to clean and if all goes well I will hire two part-time people this year or one full-time person.

So far, I have sold my boards to every state in the USA except for one, every Canadian province and 23 foreign countries from Australia to Russia. In fact, Russia is my third largest customer.

If anyone from the forum is ever in my area, feel free to call me for directions and I will be more than happy to give you the 50 cent tour of the world headquarters

So here I am and its all Dave's fault.

Glad to see you've migrated, David. The maple butcher block I bought from you last summer has been a joy to use. For anyone in the market for wooden kitchen products, I can't recommend the Boardsmith highly enough!

Latest posts

Back