Should i get the Kato SG2 240 Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
I have an:
Anryu AS 210 gyuto (kurouchi)
Yoshihiro AS 210 Gyuto (kurouchi)
Masamoto SW 240
Aritsugu 150 Petty (blue steel)
Shun Premier VG Max 8in Kiritsuke
Lots of Wusthof Classics

I have Shapton 1k, 2k 5k, strop, green compound, etc.

I'm a home cook but like knives that work well and look good. Should i get the Kato 240mm SG2 Gyuto?

I imagine the Arnyu AS is Absolute Sex and the Kato SG2 is Stupendously Great Too!

Why don’t you buy one of the forum favorite Sanjo knives instead, just to get something different and well recommended? Start a knife rec thread and see what comes up.

Does it have to be a gyuto. Wanna join the dark side, and get a nakiri? I don’t see a Sujihiki in your possession either.
"If you get a Nakiri, which you shouldn't buy, you can donate it to my Nakiri rescue"- @nakiriknaifuwaifu at some point

How would the Kato sg2 gyuto cut compared to the Anryu AS 210 gyuto?
Honestly, probably pretty similar. They both make knives in the Takefu style. Will probably be pretty similar grinds and profiles, not exactly though. Think cousins rather than twins. Edge retention wise, R2 will win hands down in comparison to AS.

A 240mm Kato SG2 must be a bit different from the 240mm Kato WH I have. Mine is just some unknown carbon clad.

I have an:
Masamoto SW 240
Lots of Wusthof Classics

I'm a home cook but like knives that work well and look good. Should i get the Kato 240mm SG2 Gyuto?

'Yes' or 'No' question? I say 'No.' At least not before you look at the other powdered steel offerings like Blazen, Kagero, Sukenari HAP04,
Takamura HSPS Pro.

Curious on your reasons for wanting a powdered steel knife? I had one, recently got rid of it, and now miss it, wanting another. My personal reason is edge retention and stainless a win-win for a travel knife.

Last edited:
I have an:
Masamoto SW 240
Lots of Wusthof Classics

Ironically I just ordered a Kato R2/SG2 210mm Gyuto yesterday it is do to arrive on Tuesday, I’ll let you know what I think.

I imagine the Arnyu AS is Absolute Sex and the Kato SG2 is Stupendously Great Too!

Why don’t you buy one of the forum favorite Sanjo knives instead, just to get something different and well recommended? Start a knife rec thread and see what comes up.
Which are? Never heard of them

Does it have to be a gyuto. Wanna join the dark side, and get a nakiri? I don’t see a Sujihiki in your possession either.
I have a meat slicer, and i only break it out at most once per year. I just dont think i'd use a Sujihiki for prepping meals at home.

See above, but thanks for the rec, anything else you'd recommend for $300?

Honestly, probably pretty similar. They both make knives in the Takefu style. Will probably be pretty similar grinds and profiles, not exactly though. Think cousins rather than twins. Edge retention wise, R2 will win hands down in comparison to AS.
What other powdered steel $300 knives would you recommend? I'm looking to try something different than Aogami steel since i have 3 knives that are Aogami already. I hear the next big thing is powered steel and i generally treat my knives well and dont chip them.

'Yes' or 'No' question? I say 'No.' At least not before you look at the other powdered steel offerings like Blazen, Kagero, Sukenari HAP04,
Takamura HSPS Pro.
For the entire forum... can someone point me to a guide that compares these steels or can just tell me whats the pros/cons of them for someone who wants to try something new that can get super sharp and hold its edge for a while? Although i only have 2 years of sharpening experience (home cook, so i dont even need to sharpen that often) i'm not afraid of sharpening these new steels. (have shapton 1k, 2k, 5k 2 strops, green compound.

Which are? Never heard of them

I have a meat slicer, and i only break it out at most once per year. I just dont think i'd use a Sujihiki for prepping meals at home.

See above, but thanks for the rec, anything else you'd recommend for $300?

What other powdered steel $300 knives would you recommend? I'm looking to try something different than Aogami steel since i have 3 knives that are Aogami already. I hear the next big thing is powered steel and i generally treat my knives well and dont chip them.

For the entire forum... can someone point me to a guide that compares these steels or can just tell me whats the pros/cons of them for someone who wants to try something new that can get super sharp and hold its edge for a while? Although i only have 2 years of sharpening experience (home cook, so i dont even need to sharpen that often) i'm not afraid of sharpening these new steels. (have shapton 1k, 2k, 5k 2 strops, green compound.
Takamura R2. Tanaka R2 Damascus. Akifusa SRS-15. Sukenari ZDP-187 or XYZ123. Any of the custom makers that use it, like HSC and Zwear.

It's not really the next best thing. It's a different steel with different focus. Higher edge retention generally equals harder to grind/longer to sharpen. Plus carbide sizes and finishes and type of sharpening devices play a bigger factor.

Ironically I just ordered a Kato R2/SG2 210mm Gyuto yesterday it is do to arrive on Tuesday, I’ll let you know what I think.
I have an:
Masamoto SW 240
Lots of Wusthof Classics

D86C411B-EBC5-4933-A19B-F45CBF5EE9DB.jpeg

So I’m not sure if this is what you were thinking of but I just got it today and it’s VERY NICE!!

Seisuke knives. I haven’t used it yet but it is light, thin and has a really nice fit/finish.

You can most likely get it cheaper from another vendor they just happened to have a left handed Yanagiba I wanted so I just bought them both from there.

based on the rest of your knives I would really suggest getting something without a hollow/concave grind. Something convex with a better grind like @ian said would be great

Ya gen
@mpier, that's lovely. Is the finish like the other Kato where some layers look really dark at some angles but way more silver at other angles?
yes it is generally dark gray and silver in color but it definitely pops when the light hits it at different angels, I guess the video I saw on the web site is what sold me on it just loved how it popped and wanted to play with some R2 as well.

Latest posts

Back