Should i get the Kato SG2 240 Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
based on the rest of your knives I would really suggest getting something without a hollow/concave grind. Something convex with a better grind like @ian said would be great
Which of my knives have a hollow/convex grind and why wouldn't I want that?

I do love that my Anryu is a lot thinner than my Yoshihiro. But the yoshihiro feels more robust for hard items like watermelon, butternut squash, potatoes, carrots. The thinner Anryu feels better for everything else.

The Kato is even thinner. The damascus is deeply etched and causes tons of drag. Also, comparatively to AS steel, the sg2 will never seem as sharp. Sure it has great edge retention, but so does AS.

It will not outperform your Anryu. It will be visually stunning. If you are finding a need for a stainless, then it makes sense. If stainless isn't that important, and you like the Takefu style, the Kato nashiji AS and Makoto white#2 blow the sg2 out of the water.

If it's just damascus sg2 you're after, the Tanaka and the Kamo both outperform the Kato imho.

For those not too familiar with this particular Kato sg2, it does have the classic Takefu profile, a beautiful contrasted etch, a really nice Honduran rosewood handle, but unlike others, like the Yoshimi Kato nashiji, or Masakage Yuki, this is ground like a laser. Zero distal taper. Super thin at the spine, all the way down. Rather flat, mated with a deep etch causes drag and stiction.

lmao yeah just buy the yoshimi sg2. some people just need takefu stuff. no worries

@coffeelover191919 Hey. Since you're in NYC, have you had a chance to swing by MTC? They usually carry Sukenari and Takamura knives in powdered steel—often have some knife brands in the store that aren't on the website. That's where I bought my Takada, which isn't on the site. I'm a big fan of actually holding and feeling a knife in-hand if possible. Best part is if you don't fancy a knife there, you can buy a Hasegawa board and some great rice vinegar!

I can get the Kato SG2 240 for $238, the Yu Kurosaki r2 240 for $265 the shibata kotetsu R2 240 for $299. Which would u guys rather?

The Kato is even thinner. The damascus is deeply etched and causes tons of drag. Also, comparatively to AS steel, the sg2 will never seem as sharp. Sure it has great edge retention, but so does AS.

It will not outperform your Anryu. It will be visually stunning. If you are finding a need for a stainless, then it makes sense. If stainless isn't that important, and you like the Takefu style, the Kato nashiji AS and Makoto white#2 blow the sg2 out of the water.

If it's just damascus sg2 you're after, the Tanaka and the Kamo both outperform the Kato imho.
Will check out the Shiro Kamo r2 and some others mentioned. Looking to try something other than carbon for this knife and the sg2/r2 options look good since they're stainless, hard, and sharpen decently.

Looks are very important this time around since my other 2 knives are kurouchi and I don't want another like that.

How is the kurosaki r2 gyuto compared to the r2?

@coffeelover191919 Hey. Since you're in NYC, have you had a chance to swing by MTC? They usually carry Sukenari and Takamura knives in powdered steel—often have some knife brands in the store that aren't on the website. That's where I bought my Takada, which isn't on the site. I'm a big fan of actually holding and feeling a knife in-hand if possible. Best part is if you don't fancy a knife there, you can buy a Hasegawa board and some great rice vinegar!
I have been to NYC quite a bit. I work 1 block from there and bought my Hasegawa from them in person. I'm wfh now and moved out of the 5 boros for.. Reasons. So it's even harder to get there.

Back