Should I mirror polish my original DT ITK 270?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I mirror polish it?

• Mirror polish it

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Keep it original

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

rockbox

Founding Member
Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones that got one of the original 10 Devin Thomas ITK knives. Mine is number 6. I've always wanted to mirror polish it but that would mean probably losing the number engraved in it. I know I will never sell it so collectivity is not an issue, but I've been torn between keeping it original and "suping" it up.

I agree with barmoley. I got a 270 dt which has a great patina. I wouldn’t trade patina for polish. I have thinned it a bit over the years but I use it a lot.

It's not only patina, some people don't like it so take it off, but mirror polish just makes no sense on a user. On carbon it gets covered with patina and scratched up on stainless it shows every scratch and finger print. Just makes no sense on a knife that is used as a knife. Mirror finish is also more sticky in general. As a show piece sure, even though even that is questionable.

I agree with barmoley. I got a 270 dt which has a great patina. I wouldn’t trade patina for polish. I have thinned it a bit over the years but I use it a lot.

You must have a 52100 one. Mine is the original AEB-L

Rockbox!!!! What's up???

I will say, knowing you will put a mirror on this beast like no other, go for it!

Ya his 52100 is what I was after. I recall the history the original aeb-l are also slightly shorter on the edge.
But curious if you are gonna do a mirror polish how do you go about it? Will you slightly convex it to battle the stick?
If you are doing it all by hand sanding you got my full respect bc that is a real workout

Ya his 52100 is what I was after. I recall the history the original aeb-l are also slightly shorter on the edge.
But curious if you are gonna do a mirror polish how do you go about it? Will you slightly convex it to battle the stick?
If you are doing it all by hand sanding you got my full respect bc that is a real workout

The DT has a convex grind.

Haha ok. Well I’ll leave ya to it. If ya do this I’d love to see how see cuts.

I actually mirror polished mine. Before anyone accuses me of heresy, one of my idiot co-workers somehow scratched it fairly badly and I had already decided to sell it

I found it really easy to polish, it really didn't take long and it was the first time I ever did it. Mine was number 5, sold it to K-Fed in 2013

Attachments

• IMAG0579.jpg
    IMAG0579.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0577.jpg
    IMAG0577.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back