Show off that colored handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey KKF,
Post up your colorful handled knives!

Im looking for inspiration for a project. Im after Western style handles especially, but any colorful handles welcome.

Its so easy to find natural brown tones in handles, or the classic light brown, dark brown/black combo.
Im looking for those with colored accents, dyed wood, stone and metal accents, etc etc.

Nick Anger's work pops into my head, but really interested to see others favorite colored handles

Honduran burl rosewood, mammoth tooth spacer, dinosaur gemstone ferrule and copper accents.
That looks spectacular!

These are the only fancy handles I have. First one on a KS, second one on a Sukenari HAP-40.
IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_3462.jpg

I don’t have any colorful handles, as I prefer natural wood and horn mostly. The new arrivals page at CKTG is full of colorful ones that might offer some ideas. However, if I am completely honest, I would use these as guidance on how not to make a nice colorful handle. I ordered a knife with one once - reluctantly, because I wanted the knife - and it was even worse than it looked online. Hope I’m not being too negative here.

I can add a positive thought: Jobone makes some nice handles that sometimes have a pop of color, at least from what I see in pics online. Not sure about western handles though.

I don’t have any colorful handles, as I prefer natural wood and horn mostly. The new arrivals page at CKTG is full of colorful ones that might offer some ideas. However, if I am completely honest, I would use these as guidance on how not to make a nice colorful handle. I ordered a knife with one once - reluctantly, because I wanted the knife - and it was even worse than it looked online. Hope I’m not being too negative here.

I can add a positive thought: Jobone makes some nice handles that sometimes have a pop of color, at least from what I see in pics online. Not sure about western handles though.

i get this, thus the post. all of my handles are plain wood, and that's practical, but im just not that boring. however Im also not into bright color, theres some place in the middle thats classy, but fun. you cats here have great taste, so i can only assume there are tasteful versions of color around. or accents of color on an otherwise safe handle. anyway, after dreaming about it last night, i think i have my project ready to move forward. but keep posting the rad colorful handles! ill share mine when complete!

I’m kind of the other way... I like the colorful/bright handles that have been on the new arrivals.

I’m kind of the other way... I like the colorful/bright handles that have been on the new arrivals.

Yeah sorry. I kind of regretted my post. It’s just a matter of personal preference, of course, and I didn’t mean any offense. Mostly, I’m annoyed by a recent purchase there, so I was venting a little too, I suppose. Specifically, I was annoyed about the installation and flaws in the handle I received, particularly given the price I paid, and less so about the color. As to style, though, to each his own. :)

Yeah sorry. I kind of regretted my post. It’s just a matter of personal preference, of course, and I didn’t mean any offense. Mostly, I’m annoyed by a recent purchase there, so I was venting a little too, I suppose. Specifically, I was annoyed about the installation and flaws in the handle I received, particularly given the price I paid, and less so about the color. As to style, though, to each his own. :)
no worries, i didnt take any offense or see any reason too, i totally get that a gorgeous wood handle is the classy move, but as i was designing a new handle, i was on a spalted wood looking to pair it with a dark wood and thought, ***? all of my knives have a light wood and dark wood theme (they may all have bog oak somewhere in the handle?), lets do something more personal, more exciting, its a knife, lets be a bit cutting edge:p!

... all of my knives have a light wood and dark wood theme (they may all have bog oak somewhere in the handle?), lets do something more personal, more exciting, its a knife, lets be a bit cutting edge:p!

True! Looking up at all my knives now, the handles do look pretty repetitive and boring, haha. And gotta say I do kinda like that one Migraine posted above.

Good luck with your handle project.

IMG_1818.jpg

This is the only “colourful” handle I have. It’s a two tone maple burl.

I do have some handles with colourful accents such as spacers. That and the above example are about as far as I’ll go.

300 Tako_a.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Bit of a rant… I simply don’t understand the “colourful” handles with composite glow in the dark resin, metal honeycomb, etc. I suppose there are ppl who like them because there are vendors which keep updating offerings with them.

this is your lew griffin? cool ass handle, did you do it?

That is my Lew Griffin. I have a friend who supplies resin things and stabilised wood he makes for a living; he made the block for the handle, then Lew made it into a handle.

https://tobiascaspar.co.uk

This is his website, but he's based in the UK so maybe no use to you.

youre not alone, i think of this thread as 'ugly knife thread 2.0' and a new knife i have on the way unfortunately comes with such a handle which makes me cringe, i cant wait to replace it hahaha.

How ugly is it? Send it to me, I like ugly colored handles

youre not alone, i think of this thread as 'ugly knife thread 2.0' and a new knife i have on the way unfortunately comes with such a handle which makes me cringe, i cant wait to replace it hahaha.

Not a fan of colored handles, but always love a bit of blue mammoth not sure about the whole handle, seems like it would be too heavy and brittle. For me stabilized koa or ringed gidgee are as fancy as I get.

Just to offend those who make poopies on colorful handles, here’s two that I recently picked up. Rader and Metal Monkey. To be honest, The green handle almost stopped me from picking it up. But I fought through the prejudices and discrimination, because when it comes to wood I’m color blind. All woods are created equal.

11B6A0CC-251A-4665-95BB-E4A420FE3B64.jpeg
03D0231A-D07A-4F9E-8A63-24D023428BFE.jpeg
50E59EA5-9FBA-4F27-B162-5E602EBD5FD3.jpeg
5D49AAED-6B0E-4C2B-9AED-0B5162B5ECC6.jpeg

Last edited:
Some good looking handles here for sure. Just recently purchased 2 fun colorful gyutos myself- Rader and Metal Monkey

*well crap, won’t let me load pics at the moment
That's what happened to my post too

Back