Show off that colored handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_4879.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

This one is hard to beat. It reminds me of a hotdog...

well, it does look like bamboo. dirty bamboo

I tend to use this as bait when people want Katos on BST. ’You’ll give me that Kato, and I’ll give you this super rare ancient natural knife! No money on the side’. I’m surprised no one has accepted that offer yet... [emoji12]

I'm pretty repetitive with my handle work, but it's just what I like... You can see in some of these that the natural colors of the wood can work nicely with a colored accent or vice versa. Padauk can be a really nice red color. Bocote and wenge both have a lot of visual interest in their patterns naturally.

This one below is natural bocote with an inlay of green dyed maple burl.
1RYJ6QTh.jpg

This is the reverse of the one above.
iqQxTLEh.jpg

Blue dyed maple burl with bocote inlay.
sa1OftPh.jpg

A natural Aussie burl with blue dyed maple burl inlay.
B4qW0Gmh.jpg

This little one below is all natural colors of padauk and bocote.
Y9wh9F3h.jpg

JU3DFx6h.jpg

Red dyed box elder burl with natural wenge inlay.
AWg2AqJh.jpg

Philippine ebony burl with red dyed box elder inlay. The ebony burl by itself already has a cool mix of naturally occurring colors in it IMHO.
lJMXRy9h.jpg

This one below is all natural colors, honduran rosewood burl with an inlay of yellow cedar burl.
TC4BCDQh.jpg

Natural curly koa with green dyed box elder burl inlay.
wktW0TMh.jpg

those handles are lovely and tasteful. thats more what i was after, not just the usual octagonal piece of wood with contrasting wood at the bolster, haha. The handles of Nick Anger come to mind as well. he does color well. Ill b sharing mine soon as it comes to completion. i like the way it turned out. The Japanese often have the mountain and cloud theme going with knives, i just took it a step further along with this one, and brought the handle into the theme as well.

those are not mine!! LOL
it was @CB1968 collection, i thought that handle looked cool so i asked him what it was. the9 ancient red gum i think he said??
all of my handles are burnt chestnut or ho, haha. except the hiromoto honyaki, that one is the stock bolsterless western rosewood. i never bothered changing it because it looks ugly but the shape and feel of it works perfectly for this knife that i use as a beater.
i dont have a recent photo of the lineup, but you can see the knives i use in my profile.

thats a pretty nice collection you got going.
how do you like that denka? what is the grind like on sukenari honyaki? i have one coming my way in a few days (albiet a suji not gyuto)

Last edited:
those are not mine!! LOL
it was @CB1968 collection, i thought that handle looked cool so i asked him what it was. the9 ancient red gum i think he said??
all of my handles are burnt chestnut or ho, haha. except the hiromoto honyaki, that one is the stock bolsterless western rosewood. i never bothered changing it because it looks ugly but the shape and feel of it works perfectly for this knife that i use as a beater.
i dont have a recent photo of the lineup, but you can see the knives i use in my profile.

thats a pretty nice collection you got going.
how do you like that denka? what is the grind like on sukenari honyaki? i have one coming my way in a few days (albiet a suji not gyuto)
Wait, aren't you the guy who likes stainless damascus show ponies saddled with an acrylic fountain pen for a handle?

Thanks! I was pretty excited for first Mario recently.

Unfortunately the honyaki are Ikeda so I can't tell you, but if you got the suji I think you got...well let's just say you might have to post it here. I was scoping it real hard. A good honyaki suji is something I'm going to find one day if I need it or not. The denka is a beast though. It's one of the few knives that's lived up to all of its reputations. There's been so much said, I have nothing new to add. My favorite AS of TF, Asai, Moritaka, Carter and Sukenari.

Oh that thing is immediately coming off, I'm hoping it breaks in the process of removal so that I can throw it away lol
You gotta post it here. Do it. For the people.

You're gonna like the incoming Denka. I could sharpen mine when I was terrible at sharpening. Feels like it's made to be ugly and work all day. Fits your bill, as far as I can tell thru the intertubes.

Last edited:
Ok I’ll bite, these are elegant. Where could a man find one?

Both of those handles were made by Bart Chen (Nicestslice on IG). If there’s a specific design that I have in mind, I’ll sometimes supply the materials if he doesn’t have it.

Back